2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

The BBC and ITV have announced the TV schedules for coverage of the upcoming Women's World Cup that is being held in Australia and New Zealand in less than a month

The BBC have got the opening game and both semi-finals, with the final as usual being broadcast by both them and ITV

No word yet on what the presenting line-up will be for either broadcaster.

www.bbc.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • Happy2001, RhysJR

I'm guessing BBC2 and ITV4 will show the bulk of the matches, with BBC1 and ITV1 used for the England games and some of the key knock out games. The way they say the "BBC is the only place you can watch both semi finals" perhaps implies that should England make it that far it'll be on both the BBC and ITV as they don't mention exclusivity.

Here's ITV's take on the match split

Englands first and last Group matches

Rep of Ireland's opening day match v tournament co-hosts Australia & Canada v Ireland in Group stage.

First 2 quarter-final picks

Third place play-off

www.itv.com 

Looking at the full schedule there, BBC seem to have a lot of the matches in the early hours of the morning, with ITV's mostly later in the morning.

According to another forum, the BBC have outsourced the production of their coverage of the tournament out to IMG, therefore the presentation will come from Stockley Park (aka IMG Central).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scratch_Perry's post:
  • RhysJR

(24-06-2023, 11:50 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  According to another forum, the BBC have outsourced the production of their coverage of the tournament out to IMG, therefore the presentation will come from Stockley Park (aka IMG Central).
I think it is the norm for BBC coverage of women's major tournaments to be outsourced, though it will be a little strange to see live BBC Sport coverage from somewhere other than Salford. I think I remember the Euro 2022 coverage was produced by Whisper, whilst the 2015 World Cup was presented from London from the same studio used for the Women's Football Show (that's now Gravity Media's facilities in West London I believe).

The 2019 World Cup coverage was produced by Gravity Media out of Manchester.
www.gravitymedia.com 

(23-06-2023, 12:11 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I'm guessing BBC2 and ITV4 will show the bulk of the matches, with BBC1 and ITV1 used for the England games and some of the key knock out games.    The way they say the "BBC is the only place you can watch both semi finals" perhaps implies that should England make it that far it'll be on both the BBC and ITV as they don't mention exclusivity.

I think the case in 2019 was one match per day on BBC One/Two, with the rest of the matches on BBC Four/Red Button, so I'd imagine it would be similar this year. In 2015 there was one match per day on a linear channel (often BBC Three) with every other match on the Red Button with world feed commentary only.

I'd certainly imagine that all BBC games that are due to finish before 06:00 will be shown on BBC One. They've been more than happy to place basketball on the main channel in the middle of the night over the last few months, and argubally those matches would rate higher / be more high profile than that anyway. Not sure if the same will be as certain for ITV, almost all non-England/Wales/Scotland matches at last autumn's (women's) Rugby World Cup in New Zealand were on ITV 4 regardless of time. Once again, football is higher profile than rugby so a good argument for more ITV coverage than last autumn.

What basketball have they been showing? See the BBC have had Baseball this weekend too, ridiculously taking priority over Glastonbury on the linear red button feed.

(25-06-2023, 08:21 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  What basketball have they been showing?  See the BBC have had Baseball this weekend too, ridiculously taking priority over Glastonbury on the linear red button feed.
Some NBA coverage - nine games across the back half of this season.
I'd guess the NBA and MLB coverage is supposed to be a like-for-like replacement of losing the NFL Show to ITV last year.

www.bbc.co.uk 

www.hoopsfix.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie

(25-06-2023, 08:21 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  What basketball have they been showing?  See the BBC have had Baseball this weekend too, ridiculously taking priority over Glastonbury on the linear red button feed.
Not ridiculous. They’d struggle to show much of Glastonbury live on a broadcast channel pre 9pm because of language. So they might as well have the baseball on red button and keep Glastonbury on iPlayer where the pin lock means everything can go out live and in full.
[-] The following 2 users Like News Engineer's post:
  • Reith85, Scratch_Perry

ITV's Women's World Cup line up

www.itv.com 

Surprised there is no Ian Wright, so presumably he must be working for the BBC again as he has done for recent female tournaments.