Car crash in Wimbledon

A car has crashed into a school in Wimbledon this morning.

BBC News breaking away from World coverage with the newsroom set and Celia Hatton presenting - no one on scene as of yet.

Sky News has Jacquie Beltrao on scene (she was at Wimbledon Tennis this morning during Kay Burley) and now seems to have gone over to the scene to report firstly on Ian King Live via telephone and now on Sky News Today via video link.
[-] The following 1 user Likes harryb's post:
  • UTVLifer

Sky News kept dipping in and out of Keir Starmer's speech to bring updates on the story earlier.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Josh's post:
  • UTVLifer

This just seems to be one of the hundreds of car crashes that happen every day and already ruled out as anything more sinister. A local story, not a continual breaking news story of national interest.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Bluecortina

(06-07-2023, 12:20 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  This just seems to be one of the hundreds of car crashes that happen every day and already ruled out as anything more sinister.  A local story, not a continual breaking news story of national interest.

I disagree, how often do cars crash into schools where 9 people are injured? I would understand if it was a road traffic accident on a motorway but this isn't
[-] The following 4 users Like harryb's post:
  • Happy2001, Jayesyn, SunburntRock89, thomash79

Presentation wise though it's just a breaking news story because everything has to be a breaking news story.

(06-07-2023, 12:18 PM)Josh Wrote:  Sky News kept dipping in and out of Keir Starmer's speech to bring updates on the story earlier.

BBC appears to have carried on Keir Starmer's speech almost in full, interrupting it only for a minute at 10:44to bring the car crash news. Celia Hutton repeated the news after the Q&A with Starmer, but they decided to air WBR at 11:30 nonetheless, with a bit of Sport bulletin afterwards, before going back to the opt-out at 11:48.

(06-07-2023, 12:20 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  This just seems to be one of the hundreds of car crashes that happen every day and already ruled out as anything more sinister.  A local story, not a continual breaking news story of national interest.

It does sound like a tragic accident rather than terrorism related.

(06-07-2023, 12:27 PM)harryb Wrote:  I disagree, how often do cars crash into schools where 9 people are injured? I would understand if it was a road traffic accident on a motorway but this isn't
I will start off by saying I do hope that everyone involved is safe and makes a full recovery. 

I do question whether this level of coverage would happen if these event happened outside of the capital or some northern cities such as Manchester or if it wasn’t a fee-paying school.  

The same could be said for a number of events. Recently in Great Yarmouth they came across a large WW2 bomb where they were building the new crossing in a populated area close to a nursing home. If that had been London you’d have had a helicopter hovering over the scene and reporters down there. The bomb ultimately exploding whilst  they were trying to defuse it. I can’t even remember any coverage except on local news.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 

I think the level of coverage would be the same for any school in London but probably not outside it.

(06-07-2023, 02:24 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  What it demonstrates is that a Land Rover Defender is an over the top vehicle to be taking your children to (preparatory) school in.
I’m not sure if the driver was taking someone to school.