Inject Points

I’ve seen some one picture  of a Sky News inject point. I’m can’t find an image. But it appeared to be a typical street infrastructure pedestal with power and either dedicated Ethernet (several Gbps), fiber internet or connected to a dark fiber (as is used it some places in the Washington, DC).

From the one pedestal I saw it appeared to have an Ethernet switch, WiFi (probably hidden SSID) and multiple HD-SDI hookups along with return feeds, power and I thought I saw a POTs feed.

There’s one in the press triangle in DC off the Capitol that is first come first serve.

[Image: HouseTriangle_002.JPG]

So I’m kind of interested how the the inject points look inside, the tech, etc. Not necessarily the location.

If you want historic tech ….. LOCO
www.bostonmanor.plus.com 

More modern BT M&B fibre at football grounds
www.svgeurope.org 

I tried to get a unified design of a stainless steel bomb proof cabinet that was under the seat of a public bench as a good unit … the bench/equipment was used by traffic lights in “heritage “Locations ..but it was very expensive ……
it was quite nice And had hole for connectors separate from the door to access the equipment …..
One version had the equipment box rise up to a working height to mend it,

I did one of the parliamentary tours recently and in the main lobby (the bit where MPs are normally interviewed), while the guide was talking about the artwork, I couldn't help but notice a wooden cabinet with lots of sockets, as well as a handheld mic + some sort of TV screen (looked like a bulky tablet and could be hand held also) showing colour bars + a small speaker and headphones.

The speaker had BBC Millbank taped on it so I assume it's their permanent link, presumably for quick and easy radio interviews? I assume also that the rest of the connections are for the various news orgs to hook into something.

The colour bar / test card looked the same as was on the screens facing the public gallery inside the HoC, so I guess it was a feed from parliament?

(10-07-2023, 02:53 PM)Technologist Wrote:  If you want historic tech ….. LOCO
www.bostonmanor.plus.com 
www.svgeurope.org 

I tried to get a unified design of a stainless steel bomb proof cabinet that was under the seat of a public bench as a good unit … the bench/equipment was used by traffic lights in “heritage “Locations ..but it was very expensive ……
it was quite nice And had hole for connectors separate from the door to access the equipment …..
All of the NFL, I believe MLB stadiums and a signicant amount of NCAA facilities (or schools) connected via Level3’s network and some have additional connectivity via TheSwitch.

(10-07-2023, 02:53 PM)Technologist Wrote:  If you want historic tech ….. LOCO
www.bostonmanor.plus.com 
www.svgeurope.org 

Depending on needs could you have gotten away with a telephone pole type equipment or cable box equipment connector? A small green box, you could pull the lid off - here cable companies use it.

I know news injects better than sports. There they were once coax, then went to fibre. The BBC once had a few injects connected by dark fibre PAL connections normally used for CCTV

IP has changed how inject points are fitted out, some now in busy areas are just a WiFi access point for a wireless camera. Others have decoders/encoders and codes in the cabinet breaking it out into SDI, XLR, HDMI connections for a crew to plug into providing fallback, clean feed ams return vision. They'll also have a WiFi access point for the journalists to access newsroom systems, email etc.

Some BBC injects will have seperate connections for radio contribution, via a comrex or similar.

(12-07-2023, 10:40 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I know news injects better than sports. There they were once coax, then went to fibre. The BBC once had a few injects connected by dark fibre PAL connections normally used for CCTV

IP has changed how inject points are fitted out, .....

The BT Redcare RS1000 analogue video circuit - usaully as the RS1000D with a 100M IP connection
was useful and not too pricey ...... It had a number of disadvantages ....
it was on dark fibre and could not go far without repeating
which was a receiver amd transmitter in an exchange somewhere
(and often unknown to staff)
The fibre interconnect in the exchanges were not "normal" and occasionally got disconncted
The videos qulaity was OK (just)..... sound more marginal ( but OK for news!!!!)

The major shortcoming for broadcasters was that it was on a 4 week fix
with a sort of best endevours in the mean time....
But was cheap companed to a Tariff V circuit
and it also could give you a Local 100M connction to places
that Openreach seemed very relunctant to sell a proper IP coax to!!!

These days a good (FTTP) connection is more than enough!
and most people have them! = and SRT to the Major Broadcasters or BT Tower,
or use Bonded Mobile 4G/5G ...

Silly question what is a inject point is it like a plug into a socket sending pictures to the other side who then ingest the feeds?

(13-07-2023, 06:07 PM)harshy Wrote:  Silly question what is an inject point is it like a plug into a socket sending pictures to the other side who then ingest the feeds?

Basically. Think of it as a remote studio wall box.
[-] The following 2 users Like rkolsen's post:
  • harshy, Ma76

(13-07-2023, 06:07 PM)harshy Wrote:  Silly question what is a inject point is it like a plug into a socket sending pictures to the other side who then ingest the feeds?
Kind of, although normally lots of sockets - some for video, some audio connections for earpieces or talkback etc. They'll go back down circuits to the broadcaster so all a crew needs to do is plug in their camera etc and are ready to go on air.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Ma76