Virgin Media

My recollection is that in the analogue days satellite reception equipment was essentially “off the shelf” and not manufactured specifically for Sky. You bought and provided your own equipment.

You have to remember that initially the only Sky channel that was pay was Sky Movies, the others were still free to air. Sky Sports didn’t go pay until after it got the Premier League and everything else remained FTA until Sky launched the Sky Multichannels package on 1st September 1993, which was the real point it started becoming a pay-TV operator rather than a broadcaster that happened to have some content on a sub basis.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • Stuart

11 FAST channels being added to Virgin Media TV.

Interesting how the branding of the UKTV channels are UKTV Play [name]. Sounds like the previous era, not the current or future UKTV branding scheme.

www.broadbandtvnews.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Stuart

(Yesterday, 07:00 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  11 FAST channels being added to Virgin Media TV.

Interesting how the branding of the UKTV channels are UKTV Play [name]. Sounds like the previous era, not the current or future UKTV branding scheme.

www.broadbandtvnews.com 
BBC Studios have promoted the 'UKTV Play' brand a great deal, and it seems in such direct conflict with the intention to rename their commercial UKTV linear channels as 'U . . .'

As others have said, I think the latter will be quietly forgotten before any implementation takes place. FAST channels are the way forward. You need a recognised brand when you launch them, and they have that with UKTV.

The UKTV FAST channels have been going a while though haven’t they? I’m sure they already exist elsewhere.

(Not sure I agree UKTV is a particularly recognised brand)

Yep, they're on Pluto TV, or at least some of them are. I think they're on the Samsung TV channels too.

(Yesterday, 09:10 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Not sure I agree UKTV is a particularly recognised brand
I don't think that's a correct assumption. Certainly when they changed to the single channel names related to genres, they drifted away from UKTV brand for a while.

However, they then brought it back as part of the brief animated DOGs at the start of programmes and after commercial breaks. I'm sure that must have resonated with more than just us pres geeks.

The push with UKTV Play during trailers will have reinforced that link.