Virgin Media

(11-03-2023, 11:26 PM)cable Wrote:  
(05-03-2023, 11:02 PM)gottago Wrote:  Not to mention they were keen to offload UTV Ireland as quickly as possible. 
Would that have been down to brexit?
No, not in the slightest. In what way have the EU ever regulated broadcasting in member states? They certainly never did with anything broadcast from the UK.

Many international channels broadcast to Europe are uplinked from the UK, so are regulated by Ofcom.

All possible due to the Audiovisual Directive (previously Television without Frontiers). These days a lot of the business the U.K. had in licensing cross-EU has gone to other European countries (not to Ireland, by the way, because of our IBA-esque heavy touch regime, but to the likes of the Netherlands, Germany, and Luxembourg which have regimes more similar to the U.K.). Most U.K. TV broadcasters have had to take out a license in one of these jurisdictions post-Brexit in order to continue to broadcast to Ireland (and most U.K. radio broadcasters have mass exited Irish platforms, though still available via FM/LW where available and more widely via internet). None of this has anything to do with VM, mind you, but is just by way of explanation of what Brexit has meant.
[-] The following 3 users Like Rdd's post:
  • ASnep, Kunst, Spencer

(12-03-2023, 01:57 AM)Stuart Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 11:26 PM)cable Wrote:  Would that have been down to brexit?
No, not in the slightest. In what way have the EU ever regulated broadcasting in member states? They certainly never did with anything broadcast from the UK.

Many international channels broadcast to Europe are uplinked from the UK, so are regulated by Ofcom.

Brexit had a big impact on Broadcasting. Previously a broadcaster could be based in/uplinked from the UK and target any other EU country with just an Ofcom licence. That is no longer possible. 

As explained above, broadcasters based in the UK but targeting the EU have had to take out new licences in any EU country, and in most cases have also moved their uplink out of the UK so as not to need an Ofcom licence in addition to a licence from their EU country of choice. 

Many smaller channels and nearly all radio stations were removed from the Sky EPG in Ireland a few weeks before Brexit due to licencing complications.
[-] The following 7 users Like tmf9's post:
  • ASnep, bkman1990, Kunst, London Lite, Rdd, Rijowhi, WillPS

I’ve seen posts on a couple of other forums and a promo on Ch.998 that Virgin are “doing some housekeeping” on 4th July. The main points are they’re apparently tidying up the entertainment section, making +1 channels easier to find and moving the music channels to a new home. What exactly is moving where is unknown at the moment.

(24-06-2023, 09:45 PM)Bennyboy84 Wrote:  I’ve seen posts on a couple of other forums and a promo on Ch.998 that Virgin are “doing some housekeeping” on 4th July. The main points are they’re apparently tidying up the entertainment section, making +1 channels easier to find and moving the music channels to a new home. What exactly is moving where is unknown at the moment.

I follow various blogs about broadcasting and this one details where affected channels will move to from Tuesday: cleanfeed.thetvroom.com  hope this helps Smile

~SpacewardAsh

Interesting that apparently some Pluto TV channels are apparently getting EPG slots.

(30-06-2023, 08:03 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Interesting that apparently some Pluto TV channels are apparently getting EPG slots.

I did a survey for Sky recently on how I’ve been finding Sky Stream. One suggestion I made was for FAST channels to get EPG listing.

(30-06-2023, 08:03 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Interesting that apparently some Pluto TV channels are apparently getting EPG slots.

Does that include being able to record them?

What I read didn't say, but I'd imagine so, we'll find out on Tuesday I guess.

Anyone know why although the changes have happened Sky Kids isn’t accessible for me at least and I’m on Maxit TV but in the channel guide that has been updated it has a tick next to it in the Maxit column?