ITV Telethon - 35 years on

Hard to believe, but the recent May bank holiday, was the 35th anniversary of the first ITV Telethon, a 27 hour extravaganza (term used loosely), to raise money for charity. There were three of them, 1990 and 1992 being the others, and these stemmed from the 1980 and 1985 London only Thames Telethon. 

As a nine year old, I was quite excited about the first Telethon, in 1988, but the third one, which raised less money than the first, I wasn't as much into it by then, and was glad when the 1992 one ended, as International Rugby Union, Australia v New Zealand, followed it!

How hard was it to organise back in 1988, would ITV ever dare repeat it, and was 27 hours just too lnog? What if it had been 10 hours, like the 1980 Thames Telethon? And, any other thoughts?

The ITV 1988 Telethon.....is it the one with the Tiswas reunion?

I was reading or watching something recently that suggested that a key reason for it being cancelled was that the disabled community wasn't particularly happy with it. There was a feeling that the appeal films were portraying disabled people in quite a patronising way, and some campaign groups even picketed ITV studios and called for people not to donate.

That contributed to the last Telethon being a damp squib, and with the change of franchises there was little appetite to continue.
[-] The following 4 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Blubatt, Brekkie, DE88, lookoutwales

(24-07-2023, 01:33 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I was reading or watching something recently that suggested that a key reason for it being cancelled was that the disabled community wasn't particularly happy with it. There was a feeling that the appeal films were portraying disabled people in quite a patronising way, and some campaign groups even picketed ITV studios and called for people not to donate.

That contributed to the last Telethon being a damp squib, and with the change of franchises there was little appetite to continue.

I'm guessing you've seen the recent film by Bob the Fish (Applemask's production company)

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 7 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • AndrewP, DE88, Medianext.MX, Omnipresent, Radiounion, Roger Darthwell, Steve in Pudsey

(24-07-2023, 02:14 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  I'm guessing you've seen the recent film by Bob the Fish (Applemask's production company)

www.youtube.com 

That was some video. Rather amazing research and sharp wit. Well done to Applemask for his program.

"Please stand by for further details, as we return you now to your regularly scheduled program. Hopefully."
[-] The following 2 users Like Radiounion's post:
  • DE88, Roger Darthwell

There was a BBC drama recently which flagged that issue - first I'd heard of it.

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • lookoutwales

The weird thing is - as a wheelchair user myself - I went to school with Aspel's son, who was/is a wheelchair user himself, and I even got to spend time with Aspel Sr, who was a steadfast supporter of the school and a nice chap.

As such, you would think he'd have looked at the VTs (if not before transmission, then after each year's Telethon) and gone: "Umm.. try again, guys!"
[-] The following 6 users Like Skygeek's post:
  • DE88, Happy2001, lookoutwales, Pips2022, Spencer, Steve in Pudsey

I was only 10 when the first telethon took place but Matthew's video was certainly an eye opener. As someone who has been wheelchair-bound for a while I have to say the video made me realise that the disabled have been given a pretty shitty deal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • DE88

As highlighted in the video above on one of the Telethon’s protestors entered the studio whilst Michael Aspel was interviewing Claire Rayner. They then hurriedly cut to a VT.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Omnipresent's post:
  • DE88

The interview Aspel done with the chief executive of Natwest, during the 1992 Telethon, was a bit car crash, to say the least.

Which ITV company had the best opt out studio or location, in each of the three of them?
[-] The following 1 user Likes robertclark125's post:
  • DE88