RIP George Alagiah

Very sad for George and his family, and undoubtedly a hard day for BBC journalists and his colleagues today. A great journalist lost and, by all accounts, a great person too.
[-] The following 3 users Like House's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, Jeff

It’s going to be especially difficult for Sophie Raworth (or of course, anybody else) if she’s due to do the Six tonight.
[-] The following 5 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Quantum+83, Reith85, UTVLifer

Really sad news.

One of the very best news presenters out there. Had the priviledge to meet George in 2008 when I was in stage 6 at Television Centre. Lovely, lovely guy.
[-] The following 8 users Like Worzel's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, harshy, KatsKaravan, Quantum+83, Reith85, UTVLifer

Just awful news. Great broadcaster and seemingly a decent bloke. Another one gone too soon.
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • bkman1990, harshy

We’ve had to say far too many goodbyes to those in TV land in the past year. RIP George, brilliant journalist and always a calming presence on screens.

George's warm delivery is what I'll miss most about him. He made the Six his own.
[-] The following 5 users Like London Lite's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, Gary Baldy, Jeff, Spencer

Very very sad news. I HATE cancer.

What a really rough time the BBC newsroom has had of late.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

George Alagiah was definitely the BBC's other top anchor/reporter. Huw Edwards and himself were most probably the top newscasters in the country for many years, and with both of them now gone, it's a big loss on the part of the BBC, who really don't have a new top person, to my mind

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

I can only echo the sentiments of everybody here, it's very very sad news, today an increedible life has ended.......he was born in Sri Lanka (Colombo to be more precise), then he moved with his family to Ghana and then to Britain. And before he was a newsreader, George was one of the BBC's leading foreign correspondents, beginning with his role as correspondent for Southern Africa based in Johannesburg. And after that he reported on events ranging from the genocide in Rwanda to the plight of the Marsh Arabs in southern Iraq to the civil wars in Afghanistan, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Somalia. Today not only the BBC, but the world of journalism as a whole has lost one of it's greats. And my thoughts and condolences go to his wife and two children, RIP George Alagiah

What more is there really to say. A real loss - one of the best newsreaders out there, always good on both network bulletins and World, pretty much from the get-go. He was smooth without seeming smug, warm without diminishing his authority, clear and polished without being robotic - one of the best and it's been a real shame not to have him around much in the last decade and even more of a shame that he'll never return.