RIP George Alagiah

(24-07-2023, 12:21 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  George Alagiah was definitely the BBC's other top anchor/reporter. Huw Edwards and himself were most probably the top newscasters in the country for many years, and with both of them now gone, it's a big loss on the part of the BBC, who really don't have a new top person, to my mind

I would put Sophie or Laura as a top person. But yes, he was one of the best. Just watched his behind the scenes of the Na6 from 2016. He was so kind and funny. I'll miss him.

Devastating news and what an awful few weeks for those working at BBC News.

Difficult to find what to say, especially when everyone had already summed him up so nicely. A massive loss to the entire BBC News team, who was forced to step back before anyone would have liked.

My thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues. May he rest in peace.

I kissed a gull and I liked it!
[-] The following 9 users Like BBI45's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, Jeff, KatsKaravan, Quantum+83, Reith85, SuperSajuuk, Toby brown

Wow. Watching the interview with Alan Little with tears in my eyes. What a tribute.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 7 users Like Moz's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, harshy, Newsroom, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, SuperSajuuk

I know I will just be repeating what many have said, but I really feel the need to add to the many voices that he was a great broadcaster, a real authority reading the news, and I feel he will be a massive loss to broadcasting. I treasured each and and every time he was able to go on air in recent times.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 9 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Jeff, Quantum+83, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, SuperSajuuk, TVfan23, UTVLifer

(24-07-2023, 12:21 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  George Alagiah was definitely the BBC's other top anchor/reporter. Huw Edwards and himself were most probably the top newscasters in the country for many years, and with both of them now gone, it's a big loss on the part of the BBC, who really don't have a new top person, to my mind

Whilst this is not really the place for it, it is important to clarify that as of the current time Huw Edwards remains employed by the BBC to present the News At Ten.
This is extremely sad news for the BBC and has come as a shock to viewers and thoughts are with both his colleagues and his family and friends.
[-] The following 6 users Like qwerty123's post:
  • bkman1990, GeekyJames, Jeff, MLehon, oscillon, Reith85

What a horrendous 6 months BBC News is having, so sad to hear this.

Without sounding anti-BBC, I always had the impression that they had very few news presenters who had a good balance of warmth as well as professionalism, human without being overly familiar but without sounding like an android reading an autocue either.

George was definitely one of those few. A very friendly face who you could also trust would handle a heavy news story professionally. Duncan Newmarch pointed out on Twitter that he'd always stop and say hello whenever he was doing a tour of TVC.

RIP, big guy.
[-] The following 7 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Gary Baldy, James, JamieD, Jeff, KatsKaravan

(24-07-2023, 12:48 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Without sounding anti-BBC, I always had the impression that they had very few news presenters who had a good balance of warmth as well as professionalism, human without being overly familiar but without sounding like an android reading an autocue either.

George was definitely one of those few. A very friendly face who you could also trust would handle a heavy news story professionally. Duncan Newmarch pointed out on Twitter that he'd always stop and say hello whenever he was doing a tour of TVC.

RIP, big guy.

Absolutely. He was unique in that his delivery was 100% professional yet so warm, I can’t really think of many (any?) others that can provide this balance.
[-] The following 6 users Like JamieD's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Jeff, Larry the Loafer, Quantum+83, Spencer

Sad news. Can only echo what everyone else has said. He was one of the best in the industry. A true professional. R.I.P.