RIP George Alagiah

I lost my late grandmother to this horrible disease over 15 years ago. That moment had broke me into tears when I heard it from my mum for the first time.

When I heard about the news about George Alagiah's passing earlier today. Those same moments of pain and great sadness are starting to flood back to me all over again in smaller doses.

George had a great sense of authority whenever I had watched him on BBC News. His way of reading out the stories had put me at ease. He didn't put them out while expressing a big ego. He didn't want to put them out without wanting to be selfish.

He had a great sense of warmth on screen and off it which did not leave anyone else astray.

George was an absolute legend in my eyes. I will greatly miss him now that he is no longer with us.

I will watch the News at Six in his memory this evening. I hadn't made plans to watch it today. But I will do so to remember his legacy.

Rest in Peace George.
[-] The following 7 users Like bkman1990's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, Jeff, oscillon, Quantum+83, TVHead, UTVLifer

(24-07-2023, 02:54 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Not sure if this has been mentioned, but kudos to the admin for using the list of bowel cancer symptoms as the thread's thumbnail. If it saves one person, it's worth doing.

Indeed. Bravo, Admin! Such a good idea to use this sad occasion in a positive way. Thank you. Xxx

Naga Munchetty was on air and very emotional breaking the news. (1h 2min in, with a tribute at 1 hr 13 min)

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, Toby brown, UTVLifer

(24-07-2023, 04:27 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Naga Munchetty was on air and very emotional breaking the news.  (1h 2min in, with a tribute at 1 hr 13 min)

www.bbc.co.uk 
That was done very oddly. Why interrupt a 2 minute sports bulletin when she could have just waited a bit? There's no urgency to give this news, why not have another minute or so to get over the shock first?

(24-07-2023, 04:39 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  That was done very oddly. Why interrupt a 2 minute sports bulletin when she could have just waited a bit? There's no urgency to give this news, why not have another minute or so to get over the shock first?

Emotions make you make strange decisions
[-] The following 3 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • Brekkie, Reith85, UTVLifer

(24-07-2023, 04:39 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  That was done very oddly. Why interrupt a 2 minute sports bulletin when she could have just waited a bit? There's no urgency to give this news, why not have another minute or so to get over the shock first?

If they hadn’t delayed the sport would there have been anything else to put out immediately after the announcement to give Naga time to compose herself. Delaying the sport gave Naga a couple of minutes after the announcement before having to lead an unrelated live interview.
[-] The following 1 user Likes qwerty123's post:
  • bilky asko

Really touching to see this was the top story on the News at 1 and online - thoroughly deserved for a such an incredibly talented presenter and journalist.

It’s the top story on the 6 as well.

(24-07-2023, 06:01 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  It’s the top story on the 6 as well.

And no opening shot of Sophie in the headlines, just George from the start.
[-] The following 6 users Like oscillon's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Jeff, London Lite, Reith85, UTVLifer

Having just read Sophie's very personal and touching article on the website, you can see how close they were and how much she respected him.
BBC News - George taught me so much about living - I will miss him terribly
www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 10 users Like South's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, bilky asko, bkman1990, Jeff, oscillon, Quantum+83, Reith85, UTVLifer, Will