RIP George Alagiah

And Sophie has just said that there will be a special tribute paid to George at the end of the Six.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bkman1990's post:
  • Reith85

The way Sophie looked at the tower, which had George’s picture on it, as the titles played out….. Sad
[-] The following 4 users Like Scrotnig's post:
  • bkman1990, Jeff, oscillon, UTVLifer

(24-07-2023, 06:16 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  The way Sophie looked at the tower, which had George’s picture on it, as the titles played out….. Sad

That coupled with the article she wrote which I've just read........

I'm crying my eyes out here.
[-] The following 2 users Like PJamo's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

(24-07-2023, 06:19 PM)PJamo Wrote:  That coupled with the article she wrote which I've just read........

I'm crying my eyes out here.
We are all crying our eyes out, that was a wonderful and heartfelt tribute, it must be so so difficult for Sophie tonight......
[-] The following 2 users Like Roger Darthwell's post:
  • PJamo, UTVLifer

Just in case anyone has missed it, in Sophie’s piece she speaks about the last few weeks - and how George wanted to say goodbye to viewers and the BBC News at Six:

Quote:I sat with him in hospital during his last round of chemo in May. He knew by then that he would not be coming back to work. But, after 20 years of presenting the BBC News at Six, George did want to say goodbye. Since being first diagnosed with cancer, just over nine years ago, he had received thousands of letters and messages from viewers who wrote to him as if they knew each other - strangers who treated him as a dear friend. It touched him deeply. And so he wanted to go on air one last time.

He had worked it all out. His plan was to do an interview with me at the end of the evening news and then turn to camera, on his own, with a simple goodbye. We could record something, I suggested. No. George wanted to do it live. I wasn't entirely sure I would be able to hold it together. But if he could, I was going to have to as well.

In the end he didn't get to do that. Shortly after that conversation he was back in hospital.

But despite the increasingly grim news from the medics, his spirit remained indomitable. Even towards the very end he was sending me texts, asking about my mother who was in hospital, also with bowel cancer. 
[-] The following 9 users Like j.smith's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, Frances, Jeff, News76, Quantum+83, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

Wonderful end to the Six in George's own words with a short tribute from Riz Lateef at the handover to BBC London.
[-] The following 10 users Like London Lite's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, bkman1990, dbl, Jeff, oscillon, Quantum+83, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(24-07-2023, 06:34 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Wonderful end to the Six in George's own words with a short tribute from Riz Lateef at the handover to BBC London.
I was watching in the East Midlands region and the presenter there back referenced the end item. 

Such a great way to finish the bulletin, so poignant. Very nicely done.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • London Lite, UTVLifer

Sophie nearly burst into tears just before the tribute to George had aired on the Six. I don't blame her for doing that after she gave us that beautiful tribute about him.

If you worked with a senior colleague on one of the most watched news bulletins in the UK; this sad news is going to have a major emotional effect on you if they are not there anymore.
[-] The following 5 users Like bkman1990's post:
  • Jeff, Quantum+83, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

A more personal tribute from Clive Myrie on this evening’s PM:

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 7 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • bkman1990, Jeff, London Lite, Quantum+83, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

Riz signed off BBC London with another mention of George.
[-] The following 3 users Like London Lite's post:
  • bkman1990, oscillon, Quantum+83