RIP George Alagiah

(24-07-2023, 09:58 PM)TELEVISION Wrote:  I don’t know how many times I’ve become overwhelmed with sadness today. I am so genuinely devastated. He always came across as such a genuinely kind and caring man.
Clive's emotion and personal, moving tribute was the first to set me off at lunchtime today, and then Sophie's very personal and moving tribute at the end of the 6, along with reading her article on the BBC News website that was published this evening, set me off again. 

The past few weeks must have been very difficult for everyone in the BBC newsroom, and this has been heartbreakingly sad news today. 
The world of journalism and BBC News has lost one of the greats today.
[-] The following 6 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Jeff, Quantum+83, Reith85, TELEVISION

Reeta Chakrabarti's signing off at the end of the News at 10 caps a very moving set of national bulletins today - and it was a very good point that Reeta made about George being a trailblazer in the BBC newsroom for journalists from ethnic minorities.
[-] The following 5 users Like Reith85's post:
  • bkman1990, Jeff, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, Scratch_Perry

For anyone that missed it Nick Robinson was also at the top of the One Show for 5 minutes with a nice tribute about how they bonded over their cancer diagnosis
[-] The following 5 users Like Johnr's post:
  • bkman1990, IanJRedman, Quantum+83, Reith85, Roger Darthwell

There was also a tribute at the end of Newsnight.
[-] The following 5 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • AJB39, Jeff, Quantum+83, Reith85, Roger Darthwell

A beautiful, moving piano tribute just posted to YouTube by the BBC's Steve Rosenberg:

youtube.com 

Steve writes: I've recorded this tribute to George Alagiah: one of the finest and nicest journalists at the BBC, who has died at the age of 67. For the former BBC Africa correspondent, I play Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika (Lord Bless Africa). Thank you to George's close friend Allan Little for suggesting the music.

BBC4 is repeating George Alagiah’s series “Mixed Britannia” on Tuesday 8th August:

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 9 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Happy2001, London Lite, oscillon, Quantum+83, RhysJR, Roger Darthwell, xlalonce

Very sad news, he was a great news reader and will be sadly missed. 

Out of curiosity when did George last present a news bulletin? Did he present any in 2023 or was his final one back 2022? I know he had been absent for sometime but I remember him returning for a short period.

(27-07-2023, 12:24 PM)Rainbows Wrote:  Very sad news, he was a great news reader and will be sadly missed. 

Out of curiosity when did George last present a news bulletin? Did he present any in 2023 or was his final one back 2022? I know he had been absent for sometime but I remember him returning for a short period.

I think it might have been around the time Boris stood down as PM, in July 2022. I remember he covered the breaking news on the Six when I think 3 senior cabinet secretaries stood down simultaneously.

He definitely did the Six from B.
[-] The following 5 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • bkman1990, Quantum+83, Superman1986, W1ll, xlalonce

I think someone posted here his last bulletin was October.

Sophie Raworth said his last bulletin was last September.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AJB39's post:
  • watchingtv