River City moves to new multi-series format

Intresting format changes ahead for River City .

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes CATV's post:
  • Happy2001

Similar to Waterloo Road then. TBH I think it makes a lot of sense, especially on the iPlayer having it in blocks of 22 episodes.

(25-07-2023, 03:41 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Similar to Waterloo Road then.  TBH I think it makes a lot of sense, especially on the iPlayer having it in blocks of 22 episodes.

When I saw the announcement initially I thought they were announcing it as moving to network BBC One. It would have filled the other half of the Holby City gap. I suspect it has been quietly dropped and the gaps will be filled with repeats.

Yes - not heard anymore about them commissioning anything from the nations to fill that slot.

The reason for change is in the Notes to Editors:

The budget for River City remains the same but due to rising costs, the volume of hours has reduced by 15% over the course of the year. There will now be 33 hours of River City per year.

Personally, I wouldn't describe any of it as "must-see", but each to their own. It's just a shame it keeps popping up on BBC One Scotland in addition to the BBC Scotland channel - needlessly displacing network programming.
[-] The following 2 users Like scottishtv's post:
  • Happy2001, interestednovice

How is BBC Scotland rating nowadays?

(25-07-2023, 05:24 PM)scottishtv Wrote:  The reason for change is in the Notes to Editors:

The budget for River City remains the same but due to rising costs, the volume of hours has reduced by 15% over the course of the year. There will now be 33 hours of River City per year.

Personally, I wouldn't describe any of it as "must-see", but each to their own. It's just a shame it keeps popping up on BBC One Scotland in addition to the BBC Scotland channel - needlessly displacing network programming.

A case of shrinkflation, you pay the same but get less for it.
[-] The following 3 users Like AJB39's post:
  • Happy2001, IanJRedman, interestednovice

I wonder if making River City a multi-series format potentially makes it easier to export/redistribute.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 3 users Like Keith's post:
  • benzj, Brekkie, interestednovice

I guess there’s no easy way to create a join in episode where it can then end up everywhere on BBC One?

Is there even space for it? Or this other Holby replacement? They seem to be filling the gaps outside of Waterloo Road pretty well

(25-07-2023, 08:26 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  I guess there’s no easy way to create a join in episode where it can then end up everywhere on BBC One?

Is there even space for it? Or this other Holby replacement? They seem to be filling the gaps outside of Waterloo Road pretty well

As someone who watches a lot of drama there is certainly a noticeable reduction in volume. This is one example but also the Doctors slot over their summer break would usually be filled, outside of sport, with various dramas - a mixture of both UK created and imports. At least three weeks this year will have been a cookery repeat - an entirely different genre.
[-] The following 1 user Likes m_in_m's post:
  • interestednovice