UK traditional TV viewing sees record decline, Ofcom report says

Traditional TV viewing in the UK has seen its sharpest ever decline over the past year, according to Ofcom.

The broadcasting watchdog's annual report into viewing and listening habits showed the proportion of people who tune in each week was down from 83% in 2021 to 79% in 2022.

Media Nations 2023, released on Thursday, suggested older audiences are also switching off at the fastest rate.

www.bbc.co.uk 

I am in my early 30s and nobody I know watches TV. Only streaming. I think the actual figures are likely even worse than these published figures. Even my mum in her 60s is getting more and more into streaming. I think by 2030/2035 it will be the end.

(03-08-2023, 04:56 PM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  I am in my early 30s and nobody I know watches TV. Only streaming. I think the actual figures are likely even worse than these published figures. Even my mum in her 60s is getting more and more into streaming. I think by 2030/2035 it will be the end.

Must be remembered in the context of the Ofcom report, its traditional/linear TV being referred to.
You can of course watch streaming on the TV via either built-in apps on the TV itself, or via something like the Fire Stick.

The article seems to suggest older audiences are literally turning the telly off in preference of streaming, but that doesn't mean they will do that streaming on a phone or a tablet or a computer - as I just said that can be done on the TV.

The TV itself as a physical presence in homes probably isn't going anywhere. Not while there are things to plug into it to expand the usability at least. Sometimes you can't beat a bigger screen. My parents quite often project a video or pictures onto their TV from the phone - easier to see and appreciate from their 55" unit than a 5" screen...
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • AJB39, Happy2001

(03-08-2023, 07:34 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Must be remembered in the context of the Ofcom report, its traditional/linear TV being referred to.
You can of course watch streaming on the TV via either built-in apps on the TV itself, or via something like the Fire Stick.

The article seems to suggest older audiences are literally turning the telly off in preference of streaming, but that doesn't mean they will do that streaming on a phone or a tablet or a computer - as I just said that can be done on the TV.

The TV itself as a physical presence in homes probably isn't going anywhere.  Not while there are things to plug into it to expand the usability at least.  Sometimes you can't beat a bigger screen.  My parents quite often project a video or pictures onto their TV from the phone - easier to see and appreciate from their 55" unit than a 5" screen...
Televisions have morphed into intricate display units and while there are projectors a TV can't be beaten for familiarity.
[-] The following 2 users Like Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • AJB39, Roger Darthwell

(03-08-2023, 12:07 PM)Dadeki Wrote:  Traditional TV viewing in the UK has seen its sharpest ever decline over the past year, according to Ofcom.

The broadcasting watchdog's annual report into viewing and listening habits showed the proportion of
people who tune in each week was down from 83% in 2021 to 79% in 2022.

Media Nations 2023, released on Thursday, suggested older audiences are also switching off at the fastest rate.

www.bbc.co.uk 
[OPINION]
And with that, the day that the outdated, obsolete, archaic, anachronistic and increasingly unenforceable TV Licence is finally abolished gets even closer.
That will be a day that cannot come soon enough.

[/OPINION]

Let's not get too much into that argument here though, lest it gets political and beyond the scope of this forum.

Not sure that posting your opinion but then shutting down other people's opportunity to respond with their opinion by pointing out that you were off-topic is how this is supposed to work!

One of the biggest voices on the other side of the argument is commercial broadcasters. Any move to change the BBC's funding model would almost inevitably involve the BBC becoming ad-supported and the last thing the commercial sector want is the BBC coming in and taking a huge slice of the ad revenue pie.
[-] The following 3 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • DavidV, SlimyTrain, stusoldvideo

(04-08-2023, 06:07 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Not sure that posting your opinion but then shutting down other people's opportunity to respond with their opinion by pointing out that you were off-topic is how this is supposed to work!

One of the biggest voices on the other side of the argument is commercial broadcasters. Any move to change the BBC's funding model would almost inevitably involve the BBC becoming ad-supported and the last thing the commercial sector want is the BBC coming in and taking a huge slice of the ad revenue pie.

TBH I'm not really trying to shut down "other people's opportunity to respond with their opinion" I'm merely suggesting that any discussion about the rights and wrongs (mostly wrongs IMO) of the TV Licence in general runs the risk of getting political. If anyone wants to openly discuss the TVL on this forum, only the mods or admin can shut it down.

As much as I would like the TV Licence to go away as soon as realistically possible, I'm sure most others here would agree there's currently no viable alternative method to pay for the BBC. I just find it extrememly unfair that a household MUST by law have a valid TVL if they watch any linear TV broadcast, even if they NEVER watch any BBC output.

Also even if a household only ever watches linear broadcasts of TV channels that aren't officially available in the UK, you must have a TVL. How is that fair? It really isn't.

I certainly watch less linear TV now but I am finding myself watching more free on demand content, often archive content. I've cancelled NOW and should probably do the samecwith Netflix as not really used it much this year at all.

I try and watch more TV drama at broadcast pace rather than binge the boxset, but with such content I like having the option to watch earlier in the evening rather than at 9pm.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • AJB39