Strictly - 2023

Angela Rippon and Krishnan Guru-Murthy amongst the participants announced. Good choices! 

Aside…….I believe Strictly Come Dancing should go out on a high. I know it is still popular, but isn’t the format becoming a bit tired after all these years? 

It’s been on our screens longer than Cilla’s Blind Date, which is hard to believe. 

It would be sad if these iconic shows were allowed to just fizzle out because of huge drops in audience figures.

That said, I’m looking forward to see Angela and Krish on the floor.

It’s still hugely popular. Why would they drop it?
[-] The following 2 users Like Scrotnig's post:
  • Brekkie, DeMarkay

And “Dancing with the Stars’ is still rating very well …
So is a good source of income……

Popular shows should only ever really be dropped if there is competition for their place in the schedule and removing it opens up the slot for something worthwhile. Q1/2/3 show that absolutely isn't the case with Strictly.

Sadly it'll be the defunders who'd most likely cause the demise of Strictly if the BBC get to a point they can't afford to do it properly. In theory then they could sell the rights to ITV, where no doubt the people who shout loudest about defending the BBC would be making the most complaints about the ads.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Scrotnig

(06-08-2023, 08:18 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Popular shows should only ever really be dropped if there is competition for their place in the schedule and removing it opens up the slot for something worthwhile.  Q1/2/3 show that absolutely isn't the case with Strictly. 

Sadly it'll be the defunders who'd most likely cause the demise of Strictly if the BBC get to a point they can't afford to do it properly.  In theory then they could sell the rights to ITV, where no doubt the people who shout loudest about defending the BBC would be making the most complaints about the ads.
Oh I’ve heard many arguments over the years that the BBC “shouldn’t be doing” Strictly.

Well they absolutely should.

I mean, it’s not even really my cup of tea, but it’s an exceptionally well produced show, it’s always a good watch even if you’re not really “into” it, it’s still really popular, and the BBC absolutely SHOULD be making shows like that.

Phew. Glad I got that one off my chest!
[-] The following 9 users Like Scrotnig's post:
  • AverageOrangeTurnip, Brekkie, DeMarkay, IanJRedman, PWD, RhysJR, Spencer, Transmission, TVFan

Strictly won't be axed anytime soon because there is nothing comparable in the ratings to take its place. The core audience is beyond targeting but casual viewers could be persuaded to ditch it on Saturday nights if ITV got their act together, but they seem to think that giving away money is what constitutes as highly entertaining TV.

(06-08-2023, 09:53 AM)Scrotnig Wrote:  Oh I’ve heard many arguments over the years that the BBC “shouldn’t be doing” Strictly.

I mean, it’s not even really my cup of tea, but it’s an exceptionally well produced show, it’s always a good watch even if you’re not really “into” it, it’s still really popular, and the BBC absolutely SHOULD be making shows like that.
I think also aside from that public service bargain argument (i.e., that, in return for the funding for public service television, PSBs do have to give something back to the masses), the simple fact with things like Strictly is that I don't think anybody else would have commissioned it in the first place. Sure, it's become a success and one of the most popular shows on TV, but it was just a gamble that the BBC took and it paid off - they can bask in its glory. The idea of some critics that the BBC should carry the risks so commercial TV can take the reward has always been ridiculous.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • Happy2001, Scrotnig, Stooky Bill

(06-08-2023, 09:53 AM)Scrotnig Wrote:  Oh I’ve heard many arguments over the years that the BBC “shouldn’t be doing” Strictly.

Phew. Glad I got that one off my chest!

Also the format sells well internationally.

en.wikipedia.org 

It literally brings in commercial income. It should be what people who dislike the licence fee should want, as it keeps the fee lower (I.E. the £91.50 fee in April 1997 inflation adjusted is equivalent to £172 now. Meaning the licence fee is £12 cheaper a year than it was)
[-] The following 1 user Likes TIGHazard's post:
  • Scrotnig

(06-08-2023, 01:27 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  Also the format sells well internationally.

en.wikipedia.org 

It literally brings in commercial income. It should be what people who dislike the licence fee should want, as it keeps the fee lower (I.E. the £91.50 fee in April 1997 inflation adjusted is equivalent to £172 now. Meaning the licence fee is £12 cheaper a year than it was)
I would gladly see the licence fee increase if we could undo just some of the damage done to the BBC in recent years.

But yes, you would think those opposed to the licence fee would be in favour of Strictly, even if they don’t watch it themselves.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scrotnig's post:
  • IanJRedman

It would be nice to see something fresh rather than see the same show take over 3 or 4 months of Saturdays for two and a half hours... But like others have said, it's still untouchable in the ratings and there's not really anything else in the schedules that competes in terms of quality.

Blind Date had been tinkered with to the point that Cilla didn't want to do the show anymore. As has been proven, the show isn't quite right without her. I think it's down to sheer good fortune that they've managed to keep Strictly going after Brucie's departure and a handful of judges. Says a lot about the format, I think.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Larry the Loafer's post:
  • JosiahStuart