ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards

I think that ITV are being extremely cautious at making any changes to the set & graphics, as well as presenters all at once after the disaster that was Daybreak. I think a new set & graphics will come in September once Cat & Ben have “ settled in”
[-] The following 2 users Like Bazinga's post:
  • DJ Dave, TJTSW

Slight mishap re: reading into a hoax tweet this morning;
twitter.com 

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

I think the mishap is thinking Gyles didn't know what he was doing.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • eyeTV, SlimyTrain, UTVLifer

I think a contributing factor to the lack of publicity and limited changes to presentation is that Cat only landed back in the UK over the weekend and only met Ben over Zoom according to the Mail. They didn’t even put out a publicity photo of the two of them together, which is pretty… unusual to say the least.

I imagine today’s show was probably a little stressful given the opportunity to bond in person beforehand wasn’t there, without adding a rebrand or new studio to contend with on top.

By September they should definitely be looking at a new look, however, so Ben and Cat can really make the show their own. The current branding and studio is so associated with Phil and Holly it’s almost like Ben and Cat are still covering. The new titles are a slight improvement, it looks like they’ve been done ‘properly’ rather than in house.
[-] The following 2 users Like AaronTV's post:
  • DeMarkay, fanoftv

I do think the show should return to its roots. Emphasise the nautical/waterside theme alongside the presenters and experts that made the show what it is. This was the basis of the feel of the show for at least all of the Richard & Judy years.

There's been too much focus recently on just the presenters and Television Centre which GMB and SNT also play on too. Get the shows identity back and refresh it as a new beginning. September will likely be the best time to do this. The heart of the show and its warmth needs to make a welcome return, something that's been missing since the Fern Britton days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RDJ's post:
  • DeMarkay

(11-03-2024, 10:57 PM)RDJ Wrote:  I do think the show should return to its roots. Emphasise the nautical/waterside theme alongside the presenters and experts that made the show what it is. This was the basis of the feel of the show for at least all of the Richard & Judy years.

There's been too much focus recently on just the presenters and Television Centre which GMB and SNT also play on too. Get the shows identity back and refresh it as a new beginning. September will likely be the best time to do this. The heart of the show and its warmth needs to make a welcome return, something that's been missing since the Fern Britton days.

I don't see the point of returning to the waterside theme considering they're nowhere near a body of water.

I don't think the show will ever return to what it was like with Richard and Judy but I think they've a good decision going with a pairing that is similar in age because it restores the balance whereas I never thought Holly and Phil were an equal partnership.
[-] The following 5 users Like XIII's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, DeMarkay, London Lite, UTVLifer

I quite like how they handled the fresh start yesterday. Upgraded titles which make them look purposeful rather than cobbled together, and a moment for Ben & Cat to reflect at the beginning before getting on with the show as “normal”. Hopefully this gives them time to settle before a larger revamp of the set and graphics can be made around them, but first impressions were that they felt as if they’d been there a while already (in a good way).

I totally disagree about returning to the waterside theme. They’re nowhere near a body of water and when they venture outside in the summer they’re not next to the Thames or the Albert Docks. I actually think they should move away from the water theme completely. Lessen the use of the fake backdrop (those screens are looking a bit rough) and even do away with the pretence that they’re sat in front of windows or at least obscure it behind more of a physical set.
[-] The following 4 users Like Flux's post:
  • AndrewP, DeMarkay, Spencer, UTVLifer

I don’t care what anybody says, Ben and Cat are the best things to happen to this show since Alison and Dermot joined.

It’s like they’ve been doing it for years.
[-] The following 3 users Like DeMarkay's post:
  • all new phil, fanoftv, UTVLifer

I agree - keep the backdrop but make it less prominent with the next set revamp.

It's quite odd they seem to have rushed Ben and Cat to air. Obviously both long standing professionals but Cat reportedly only returned to the UK at the weekend and they've not even had time to do a photoshoot or promo together. You would assume they were screen tested together but you'd think they'd have some footage from that to use.

Usually when a new duo are bought together alot of effort goes in off screen to develop the chemistry between them but feels like they've got to find that chemistry on air. For some duos it clicks immediately, others take a bit of time and sometimes despite the individual credentials of both parties it just doesn't come together at all. I think we're looking at the middle option here.

P.S. Is Ben the first person to have two regular daytime shows in the schedule in quite some time?

Watching today and honestly, it feels like the grown ups are finally back in charge. The titles look neat, and Cat and Ben seem like they’ve worked together for ages.
[-] The following 4 users Like all new phil's post:
  • DeMarkay, fanoftv, Flux, UTVLifer