ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards

Excellent for Morning Live - I personally think it's a great programme, and I don't see anything wrong with being a "BBC fan boy". Plenty of ITV fan boys and that isn't exactly demonised.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reith85's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

It's only day 3 and I think the decision to have Ben and Cat is proving to be the right one.

I was having a flick earlier today and came across a segment about insomnia. Cat Deeley was very engaged with the topic and it was a genuinely interesting watch.

It definitely seems like the programme's got a breath of fresh air.

(12-03-2024, 08:25 PM)Flux Wrote:  This sums up exactly the issue I’ve felt watching This Morning over this “temporary” period. It’s felt like the kids were being allowed a go. They did as best a job as they could but it was just rougher round the edges. Now the grownups have taken it back on track and it feels safer, more grounded. It’s subtle, but it’s noticable in the tone of the programme; and the tidied up titles just help illustrate that.
I get where you're coming from but the lighter tone has been welcome in recent months, and has felt natural rather than forced too.

I do think the first show was a bit too serious but they are improving everyday. Cat especially has quickly relaxed into it and any reservations I had are gone now - seems to be Ben who is holding back a bit at the moment.

It's just quite refreshing to see a show bring in two new hosts and put them front and centre. It doesn't happen very often at all now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • DeMarkay

I've seen criticism of This Morning in the past for being too light which is a weird criticism because it's never been a serious show and some of its best moments were items which were silly like the man who made models of buildings out of biscuits and neither Fern or Phil could keep their composure.

(13-03-2024, 04:03 PM)XIII Wrote:  I've seen criticism of This Morning in the past for being too light which is a weird criticism because it's never been a serious show and some of its best moments were items which were silly like the man who made models of buildings out of biscuits and neither Fern or Phil could keep their composure.

I think the criticism comes when the balance skews. I'm all for Ben and Cat having their silly moments, but it can't be that all the time. At its best, This Morning has always been effective at balancing the light with the serious (whether that's lifestyle or relevant current affairs). Sometimes, the show doesn't do this as effectively and at times (not always) that's because the talent in front of the camera in a particular episode doesn't have the versatility to fully handle the shifting tone. I think criticising the show when it gets that balance wrong is valid, and personally I've felt it drift since Phil and Holly departed. Of course, that may well have been on purpose - keep it light and move on - but now it feels right that everything's a little more grounded again.

Ben seemingly being unable to decide if he should wear his glasses or not every 2 minutes is a bit of an irritation I also have with Jeremy on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire!

Minor change to the theme this morning. The 'demo' track we heard last week during the opening - has been switched back to the previous version.

Well the new theme didn't last long.

(13-03-2024, 09:22 PM)Johnr Wrote:  Ben seemingly being unable to decide if he should wear his glasses or not every 2 minutes is a bit of an irritation I also have with Jeremy on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire!

Have you never heard of reading glasses before?
[-] The following 2 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, eyeTV