Shots TV

Anyone seen this pile of garbage that’s just launched on Freeview?

www.shotstv.com 

Badly-filmed short-form content made by journalists based at local papers with no broadcasting experience strung together on a Freeview channel at a time when the same company is making huge numbers of staff redundant. What is the possible commercial case for this other than the chairman David Montgomery has his fingers in other Local TV pies and wants a bigger share of that disaster?

Did try and look at the online stream (for a fold up mobility scooter no less), but after the preroll ad, it just, erm, died.

I've tried accessing Shots TV via DTT channel 276, and their website, and I cannot see the channel either way.

On DTT, I get the message "Connect your Freeview device to the internet for more great TV". I'm actually using a YouView box which is connected to the internet, via Ethernet. Trying to access the live stream on their website gives me this message "Please Disable Your Ad Blocker To Watch This Video" ... they can jolly well get stuffed if they think I'm compromising my browser security just to watch this shabby channel online! It would seem I'm probably not really missing much anyway!

(07-08-2023, 10:46 PM)leewilliams Wrote:  Anyone seen this pile of garbage that’s just launched on Freeview?

Badly-filmed short-form content made by journalists based at local papers with no broadcasting experience strung together on a Freeview channel at a time when the same company is making huge numbers of staff redundant. What is the possible commercial case for this other than the chairman David Montgomery has his fingers in other Local TV pies and wants a bigger share of that disaster?

Did try and look at the online stream (for a fold up mobility scooter no less), but after the preroll ad, it just, erm, died.

Local TV in a nutshell really, cheap and cheerful with a quality end production that can be beaten by next door's dog's own YouTube channel.
Though there is a certain irony in sitting through a bunch of adverts that are longer than the on-demand piece of VT you want to watch.

I've looked at the stream and have been greeted by this, which is some football discussion thing. It honestly looks like a football YouTube channel my mum watches plastered behind the background of the Shaun the Sheep credits. media.discordapp.net 
Web Image

They've just shown this screen on the stream for a good 30 seconds or so after a string of ads. media.discordapp.net 
Web Image

The football show has ended and now it's on a screen of the red background looping. No music, no text or logos.

So, basically a national rehash of the same Zoom/phone-filmed content that fills most of the Local TV (ex-Made) channels' quota hours nowadays?

Press Gazette has more on this, here is some details:
-It is run by regional media group, National World (responsible for titles like The Scotsman and The Yorkshire Post)
-As well as documentaries, it features short form videos from the media group, based around the themes: Real UK, Football and Crime
-Simplestream was responsible for the technology for the video content
-Global Distribution Services helped launch the channel on Freeview
-Axiom Media is responsible for the advertising

You can read more here: pressgazette.co.uk 

Do these people never look at what their colleagues are doing overseas? It’s shocking how bad it is. A simple google search of similar operations in countries including the US, France, Sweden and Finland would give them a sense of what standard they should be aiming for. For starters, they NEED to bring in broadcast experienced people to run the operations and give them the creative freedom to make it work. Exhausted, demoralised print journalists can’t operate TV networks.
[-] The following 3 users Like Globaltraffic24's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, KatsKaravan, leewilliams

Local TV poor quality and it's not even actually a local station? And why is it called Shots? Should've named it something like Post TV, nobody's going to watch it if they don't make use of their established brands. Especially on that high channel number.

(08-08-2023, 06:04 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Local TV poor quality and it's not even actually a local station? And why is it called Shots?

It later transpired that Shots was actually a misprint...
[-] The following 4 users Like Dadeki's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, KatsKaravan, LouBlu08, Stuart