The Oscars 2024: Not on Sky

Sky won't be the UK broadcaster for the awards ceremony after 20 years, according to Deadline:
deadline.com 

I'm more curious as to its popularity in the UK, rather than who will be taking over. Was it ever as popular outside of the US?

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 1 user Likes W. Knight's post:
  • UTVLifer

(09-08-2023, 03:25 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  Sky won't be the UK broadcaster for the awards ceremony after 20 years, according to Deadline:
deadline.com 

I'm more curious as to its popularity in the UK, rather than who will be taking over. Was it ever as popular outside of the US?

An early morning broadcast of a major, yet pretty inconsequential, awards ceremony seems a logical choice to scrap for Sky. The timings alone would have limited the audience over the years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • W. Knight

Wouldn't say it's a complete surprise thinking about it.

I remember in previous years it was a Sky Movies/Cinema exclusive if you wanted to watch live, with highlights the next day on Sky Living (I think). Then this year it was live on Sky Arts, so available to Freeview viewers, which if they knew at that point they weren't going to renew then going out like that seems to make sense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes PATV Scunthorpe's post:
  • AJB39

There won't even be a 2024 oscars if the writers and actors strikes aren't sorted out anyway!
[-] The following 7 users Like James2001's post:
  • AJB39, benzj, Brekkie, DE88, LouBlu08, UTVLifer, W. Knight

(09-08-2023, 08:00 PM)James2001 Wrote:  There won't even be a 2024 oscars if the writers and actors strikes aren't sorted out anyway!

"the award for the best repeat is..."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • DE88

I've never really seen the value in the rights given the amount of access the breakfast shows have to the footage of the key moments and to the after parties.

(09-08-2023, 08:11 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  "the award for the best repeat is..."

[Image: RxkZL9.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • DE88

(09-08-2023, 07:52 PM)PATV Scunthorpe Wrote:  Wouldn't say it's a complete surprise thinking about it.

I remember in previous years it was a Sky Movies/Cinema exclusive if you wanted to watch live, with highlights the next day on Sky Living (I think). Then this year it was live on Sky Arts, so available to Freeview viewers, which if they knew at that point they weren't going to renew then going out like that seems to make sense.

The Oscars were also shown on Sky News in the UK and Ireland.
[-] The following 3 users Like London Lite's post:
  • bkman1990, DE88, oscillon

The new home of The Oscars in the UK is ITV1

x.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001, W. Knight

Seems a good fit - less about the award show itself and more about how the live daytime shows can exploit the rights in the lead up to it and the morning after.

Is it the first time ITV has had the Oscars?
[-] The following 6 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisdafur, ethanjbrady, PJamo, sigma421, UTVLifer