Steve Wright and Paul Gambaccini get new Radio 2 shows

Broadcaster Steve Wright is to present BBC Radio 2's Pick of the Pops on Saturday lunchtimes, taking over from Paul Gambaccini, who is moving to a new show on Sunday evenings.

Wright, who will continue to present his Sunday Love Songs show, called Pick of the Pops "legendary".

Gambaccini's show will include long-forgotten tracks from the last 80 years, plus his favourite lesser-known records from the 50s onwards.

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like Dadeki's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, thePineapple

It's a decent move, Steve Wright gets one of the heritage Radio 2 shows while Paul gets to play a broader range of music.
[-] The following 6 users Like London Lite's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, lookoutwales, Roger Darthwell, thePineapple, UTVLifer

I did think Pick of the Pops would be a good fit for Steve Wright. Am I right in thinking Paul usually does that live - wonder if that'll remain the case. TBH I was quite surprised it was live as it doesn't really need to be.

(10-08-2023, 08:16 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I did think Pick of the Pops would be a good fit for Steve Wright. Am I right in thinking Paul usually does that live - wonder if that'll remain the case. TBH I was quite surprised it was live as it doesn't really need to be.

I think Tony Blackburn also did POTP live as well.

(11-08-2023, 01:24 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I think Tony Blackburn also did POTP live as well.
I believe Tony insists on doing all his shows live.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • London Lite

I believe Gambo does it live, althought it was voicetracked for a time during covid restrictions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Toby brown

He definitely did his most recent show live, as he had a chat with Rylan after it.

Steve Wright already pre-records Sunday Love Songs so it wouldn't be surprising if he pre-recorded that on Saturdays going forwards, or he pre-records both shows.

I hope the horrible Steve Wright fan base will start to quiet down following this news I bet Steve is embarrassed by them

When it was announced that Steve Wright would be leaving his afternoon show the announcement on www.bbc.co.uk  noted...

"Steve will also present regular Serious Jockin’ shows exclusively for BBC Sounds, with additional broadcasts on Radio 2, kicking off later this year."

It would appear that these podcasts were quietly dropped around November, based on comments I've read elsewhere. I guess him taking over Pick of the Pops gives him an alternative to the axed(?) podcast.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(16-08-2023, 11:43 AM)Keith Wrote:  When it was announced that Steve Wright would be leaving his afternoon show the announcement on www.bbc.co.uk  noted...
"Steve will also present regular Serious Jockin’ shows exclusively for BBC Sounds, with additional broadcasts on Radio 2, kicking off later this year."

It would appear that these podcasts were quietly dropped around November, based on comments I've read elsewhere.  I guess him taking over Pick of the Pops gives him an alternative to the axed(?) podcast.
I don’t believe the Serious Jockin’ podcast shows ever actually started, the feed only contained a coming soon trailer and then just disappeared.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TVNerd's post:
  • Happy2001