Rugby World Cup 2023

Probably deserves it's own thread seperate from The Sport Thread given it's a major event and it's just under a month to go until the Rugby World Cup 2023 in France with ITV releasing their advertising campaign recently. 

www.creativereview.co.uk 

[-] The following 1 user Likes TMD_24's post:
  • RhysJR

Saw a comment about all matches being shown on the main channel. One of the media packs for the tournament says that ITV will still show 10 matches on ITV4 with seven of them being an 8pm match.

www.itvmedia.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like TMD_24's post:
  • Brekkie, RhysJR

(12-08-2023, 01:31 AM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Saw a comment about all matches being shown on the main channel. One of the media packs for the tournament says that ITV will still show 10 matches on ITV4 with seven of them being an 8pm match.

www.itvmedia.co.uk 

Breaking down the fixtures...

The extra week given to the pool stages means that there are now less matches on weekdays. All home nations matches are on weekends, with plenty of those at 8pm. Breaking the fixtures down by day, 11 matches take place on weekdays, including the opening game.

Monday: 0 games
Tuesday: 0 games
Wednesday: 2 games
Thursday: 4 games
Friday: 5 games
Saturday: 16 games
Sunday: 13 games

These are the 8pm kick-offs not involving a B&I side or the opening game - so the reported seven 8pm kick-offs on ITV 4 will be from these nine. I think it is all but certain that Japan v Samoa and Fiji v Portugal will be two of those seven, which means five matches involving a 'favourite' (NZ, France, SA) will be on ITV 4. (France & NZ v Italy on Friday nights would be the two other ITV 1 games if I had to predict). There are three games that kick-off at 16:45 on weekday evenings which brings us to the figure of 10 on ITV 4.

Thu 14/9 France v Uruguay
Fri 15/9 New Zealand v Namibia
Fri 21/9 France v Namibia
Thu 28/9 Japan v Samoa
Fri 29/9 New Zealand v Italy
Sun 1/10 South Africa v Tonga
Thu 5/10 New Zealand v Uruguay
Fri 6/10 France v Italy
Sun 8/10 Fiji v Portugal

Comparing with the France 2007 tournament (the best like-for-like comparison as the last tournament to take place in a European timezone but not hosted wholly in the UK), ITV's scheduling looks like it will be a lot better. Per this schedule, in 2007 there was 21 pool games out of 40 on ITV 4 or ITV 3, including seven games featuring Ireland, Scotland or Wales (those matches were simulcasted on UTV/STV/ITV 1 Wales IIRC?).

www.rugbynetwork.net 

Yes - think that is the last time home nation games weren't all on ITV1 across the UK.

There are fewer weekday games this time as the 5 rounds of group games are being played over 5 weekends rather than 4 weekends as previously.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR

To round-up some announcements and details that have already been confirmed.

The host broadcaster will be HBS. This is the second men's tournament to have an extrenal host broadcaster (i.e. not the host nation's broadcaster is the host broadcaster) following the same arrangment in 2019.

www.rugbyworldcup.com 

As is traditional, S4C will show all Wales games plus the opening game, a semi-final and the final live, and have already announced their on-air team.

www.s4c.cymru 

Whilst in Ireland, matches will be split across RTÉ and Virgin Media for the first time. In 2019, only 14/48 were shown FTA via RTÉ, so a significant uplift in FTA for Irish viewers.

www.rugbyworldcup.com 

In the host nation, every game will be shown free-to-air, with TF1 subletting rights to M6 and France TV.

www.sportcal.com 

Below is some of the details from the US, New Zealand and South African coverage.

nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com 

www.sky.co.nz 

www.forum.thesilverfern.com 

www.nzherald.co.nz 

Onto radio, the BBC have exclusive commentary of the tournament in the UK. Sonja McLaughlan and Martin Johnson have been confirmed as part of their team.

www.bbc.com 

Here's the Ofcom website form if anyone wants to complain about ITV showing the Rugby World Cup final 'exclusively'.

www.ofcom.org.uk 

And finally, to the games themselves. It is expected, though not yet fully confirmed, that the RWC will follow the Summer Nations Series warm-up matches in bringing back the ref cam on the referee's chest. It has also seen the roll out of a displayed shot clock for kicks and of the bunker TMO system - where after two replays a referee team can't agree on a red or yellow card for an act of foul play, a further review from 'the bunker' can take up to eight real-time minutes to analyse the incident and decide on a red card or remain a yellow only; this seems to be working well and helps speed up the game. There will not be 20 minute red cards (or an orange level card) which has been trialed in some competitions.

www.theoffsideline.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Medianext.MX

RTE/VMTV carve up of matches:

www.rte.ie 

ITV Sport announce their team for the 2023 Rugby World Cup
www.itv.com 

ITV announces their on-air talent for the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

Headlines for me:
A change-up in presenters with Craig Doyle and Martin Bayfield absent for the first time since 2007. Jill Douglas, David Flatman and Hugh Woozencroft, all ITV Rugby regulars, will join Mark Pougatch. Bayfield is not mentioned at all after being the pitchside reporter for every England Six Nations game shown on ITV, so not sure if there is an issue with TNT Sports there; of TNT's other rugby hosts, Orla Chennaoui lives in Amsterdam so might no be available for all matches that are during the RWC, Craig Doyle has shifts on This Morning and Sarra Elgan is working on the RWC with S4C, so maybe Bayfield is last host standing for TNT in a way so won't be available for ITV.

Commentary comes from Nick Mullins, Miles Harrison, Johnnie Hammond, Martin Gillingham and Claire Thomas. So Simon Ward absent for the first time in a long time with Hammond and Thomas ITV RWC debutants. Although there was no indiciation it would happen, I'm slightly sad that Jon Champion will not feature now that he back living in the UK and he did the 2007 and 2015 events for ITV. Mullins and Harrison two of the best commentators around and are always great company, Hammond and Gillingham are decent lower order commentators and Thomas will be the first woman to be a lead commentator for a men's RWC in the UK on TV.

As previously mentioned, no Martin Bayfield in the reporting ranks, as Gabriel Clarke, Lee McKenzie and Topsy Ojo are named. This will be Lee McKenzie's debut on ITV Rugby, having previously appeared as a reporter for the BBC and presented Channel 4's rugby coverage; she has presented ITV's coverage of the Goodwood Festival of Speed, though I don't think ITV have much say in that programme.

To pundits, new names include Greig Laidlaw, Philippa Tuttiett, John Barclay, Tom Shanklin and Sergio Parisse. Barclay is rapidly coming one of my favourite rugby experts through his previous work on the BBC and Amazon; Parisse will be making his punditry debut but I think will be a great addition and Laidlaw has been doing some punditry during the last few years in Japan. The full list:
Jonny Wilkinson, Maggie Alphonsi, Sam Warburton, Jamie Roberts, Brian O'Driscoll, Greig Laidlaw, Philippa Tuttiett, Bryan Habana, Sir Clive Woodward, Rory Best, John Barclay, Sergio Parisse, Gareth Thomas, George Gregan, Sir Ian McGeechan, Lawrence Dallaglio, and Sean Fitzpatrick; Ben Kay, Ugo Monye, Shane Williams, Scott Hastings, Tom Shanklin, Gordon D’Arcy and Nolli Waterman.

I think from the below the studio is in France. Good to see that a referee pundit has been included too. JP Doyle was a great referee in the English game that really should have had a better chance in the international appointements before he left England for the US. The last week or so has certainly proved that a full understnading of the laws and their interprations are needed!
Quote:For the tournament ITV have designed an interactive studio set in the UK that allows the pundits to demonstrate physical analysis in the programmes, creating the platform for some of rugby’s biggest names to bring viewers fresh perspectives and insights into the sport. The augmented reality set will also feature a balcony area overlooking traditional Parisian scenes for presentation purposes. A world-class former referee, JP Doyle, will also be on standby to help unpick the very latest rule changes and give an insight into how they work in reality.

And finally, to the worst part of all. ITV's title theme will be Édith Piaf's 'Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien'. They will regret not using World In Union! The 2019 world feed intro ditched World in Union and I can't see any mention of an official version for 2023, so it looks like for the first time since the first edition in 1987, World in Union will be absent. Not sure why everyone has decided to retire such an iconic anthem and I'm rather despondent by that.

www.itv.com 

With Jill and Hugh they didn't really need to bring anyone in but thought Craig might continue to be involved as he establishes himself as an ITV regular. Great that Lee McKenzie is involved - not so great Martin Gillingham is - he's a very poor commentator. Was hoping they'd include Andrew Cotter.

I might be wrong, but I interpret that as the main presentation will be in the UK with just Jill in France - but the placement of the commas doesn't fill me with certainty that my reading is correct!