Why do SD channels still exist? (4music etc)

(11-08-2023, 07:01 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  In my original post, I seemed to have forgotten that AV1 formatting could definitely reduce the amount of space these channels could take. AV1 seems to be the future of digital online video, but you could just as easily run a service of channels in HD given the amount of free space given from this codec. Could Freeview adapt to this format? Time will tell with DVB-I in planning at the moment.
Judging by how we're still broadcasting in MPEG2 for SD channels, I don't see AV1 taking over on Freeview any time soon.

AV1 is still making its way out there on Desktop platforms (with only the latest CPUs/GPUs from Intel, AMD and Nvidia supporting AV1 encode and decode) - imagine how long it will take for it to trickle down to budget TVs.

The next step for TV is probably the closure of DVB-S and T mutliplexes and replacing them with DVB-S2 and T2 multiplexes, along with switching to the more efficient H.264 (AVC) codec to give us more breathing room. Again though, this all comes down to cost.

Messages In This Thread