Why do SD channels still exist? (4music etc)

AV1 being used to deliver broadcast TV in the UK is extremely unlikely.

Firstly the broadcast industry has largely gone with the MPEG codecs (i.e. HEVC) instead of AV1. As such there are many more smart TV's on the market supporting those codecs than those with AV1, which I think is available on only some the very newest TV's on the market.

Any decision to introduce a new codec would also be caught up in the same politics that is preventing Freeview from moving over to DVB-T2 with more HD services, like many of our European neighbours have.

Due to the limited capacity such services can only be introduced if existing services are dropped, which the stakeholders (i.e. broadcasters, Ofcom, etc) are very reluctant to do as that will mean a large chunk of the population with incompatible receivers won't have access to the services. For everyone other than the BBC that means less viewers and less ad income. So when it comes to Freeview everyone is extremely conservative about making changes.
[-] The following 6 users Like Orry Verducci's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, AndrewP, bkman1990, Larry the Loafer, Roger Darthwell, SunburntRock89

Messages In This Thread