The Media Question Amnesty Thread

BISS used to be hard enough to crack that it would take longer to bruteforce the key than the length of the event (eg a football match) itself. With the improvements in CPUs - and also availability of decent GPUs - there are people who will crack the BISS-1 code for transmissions and post them on Twitter well in time for kick-off.

BISS-1 and BISS-E are still widely used, but higher value content often uses encryption techniques with rotating keys, or with the receiver's unique ID as part of the key.

Yes and the latest version, BISS-CA is even more secure. It uses rolling keys, decoder ID and the ability to dynamically turn off entitlement during a broadcast. So used with watermarking a broadcaster can detect the serial number of the receiver being used to stream the feed and turn it off

www.ateme.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(27-01-2024, 10:47 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  There are examples on YouTube of glitches like those, but again they all look worse than it actually was. If you see a messy splat on a handover on a YouTube video that's a limitation of the technology where the VCR has effectively freaked out for three seconds trying to figure out what the frig's just happened and what to resync to, but of course the tape doesn't stop in the meantime...

On your telly in real time? You probably wouldn't have noticed much if anything.

I'm old enough to remember the analogue splats between Central/GMTV live, and they were still significant well into the 90s on our TV - granted not the picture-rolling mess on VHS but you could hear the tube whine change and see the picture jump.

Yep, I remember it too. I guess it may have varied from region to region.

Though even after the splats went, you often had some sort of glits at the switchover, like seeing a flash of colour bars or another region's ident- there's a few of these posted on the MHP private parts.

Spotted this on YouTube, on a 1991 episode of Highway:
i.imgur.com 
Web Image

How common a sight was this sort of slide?

I know Highway was one of those programmes that was produced by the ITV company that covered the area of wherever they happened to be that week, though not quite sure why it needed an "ITV presents" slide?

‘ITV Presents’ also used to appear at the beginning of About Britain – another programme which was made by a different region each week.

tvark.org 

The only other example I can think of is a not entirely serious one…

youtu.be 
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • Stooky Bill, Stuart

(28-02-2024, 11:48 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Spotted this on YouTube, on a 1991 episode of Highway:
i.imgur.com 

How common a sight was this sort of slide?

I know Highway was one of those programmes that was produced by the ITV company that covered the area of wherever they happened to be that week, though not quite sure why it needed an "ITV presents" slide?

It would always appear at the start of a programme which could be produced by any of the regional companies on rotation or collaboratively so, from memory About Britain, Highway, Morning Worship, The Time The Place, Telethon. Wasn't always the identical one above (although I think it was for Highway and TTTP), depending on what the local company had or made. Not sure it appeared after 93 or 94 when the above programmes were discontinued. I guess it was to denote to the viewer the network working together, especially pre-88 when it would have been messy to have a different frontcap every week for the same programme pre titles.
[-] The following 2 users Like From the North's post:
  • Spencer, Stuart

(29-02-2024, 10:05 AM)From the North Wrote:  It would always appear at the start of a programme which could be produced by any of the regional companies on rotation or collaboratively so, from memory About Britain, Highway, Morning Worship, The Time The Place, Telethon. Wasn't always the identical one above (although I think it was for Highway and TTTP), depending on what the local company had or made. Not sure it appeared after 93 or 94 when the above programmes were discontinued. I guess it was to denote to the viewer the network working together, especially pre-88 when it would have been messy to have a different frontcap every week for the same programme pre titles.

... and of course the biggest of them all - 'World of Sport'.

Most ITV Sport titles started with 'ITV Sport Presents', World of Sport was an exception, presumably because it had sport in the name

The BBC used 'BBC presents' or 'BBC TV presents' for big sports events such as this title sequence from the 1982 Commonwealth Games:
www.youtube.com 

But they also used it on some sitcoms for some reason:

Didn't Get Fresh and Ghost Train have it as well? I think they were produced by the region it was made in on a particular week (though Tyne Tees organised it all).