The Media Question Amnesty Thread

Sky does a lot of off-screen advertising.

Here in Warrington all of the bus stops have been replaced within the last year and the majority of them now have LED screen billboards, and out of all the broadcasters I’ve seen ITVX has appeared the most, more recently promoting Trigger Point. Sky have their fair share also, but most of theirs are for broadband and they’re also quite localised to the area.

Why was (and, still is) GMTV's (now known as ITV Breakfast) cut-off time 0925 on the dot? I know that Lorraine goes over that (0900 - 1000) but the TX hands over to ITV/STV at 0925.

(12-03-2024, 08:56 AM)CCFG Wrote:  Why was (and, still is) GMTV's (now known as ITV Breakfast) cut-off time 0925 on the dot? I know that Lorraine goes over that (0900 - 1000) but the TX hands over to ITV/STV at 0925.

In the days of regional franchises, TV-am would go off air at 9.25 to allow the companies to run their startup sequences, before schools programmes would commence at 9.30.

Even as schools programmes moved to Channel 4 and startup sequences went out of fashion in favour of simply running the ident and getting on with it after that, they didn't seem too bothered about the 9.25 switchover, and it must have never occurred occurred either TV-am, GMTV/ITV Breakfast or the ITV companies to properly dispose of it.

Once daytime TV started they fitted their schedule around the 9:25 start so there was a half hour quiz and a news bulletin and The Time The Place started at 10. So 9:25 stuck and even though the start times of the programmes were a bit erratic by today's standards there was no need to change it

(12-03-2024, 08:56 AM)CCFG Wrote:  Why was (and, still is) GMTV's (now known as ITV Breakfast) cut-off time 0925 on the dot? I know that Lorraine goes over that (0900 - 1000) but the TX hands over to ITV/STV at 0925.

Prior to 1983, most days ITV started at 9:30am and when TV-am launched its initial broadcasting hours were from 6-9:15am, allowing a period of up to 10 minutes for British Telecom to complete switching back to the ITV companies. When the process was automated, it was agreed that TV-am could broadcast all the way up to 9:25am then allowing a period of 5 minutes for the ITV companies to either complete a start up sequence or to put on a news bulletin. Over time the schedule has been reworked around this time.

Essentially it’s a legal thing that can’t really be changed. If you think of the two shows that dominated the 9:25am slot, Trisha and Jeremy Kyle, their start times were clearly defined and it wouldn’t have made sense to change them. Whatever the case is with Lorraine covering the 9-10am is probably more of a commercial agreement between ITV and STV. The 9:25am switch is still very much there on weekends.
[-] The following 3 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • AndrewP, Snop, Stuart

(12-03-2024, 09:02 AM)ACTV Wrote:  In the days of regional franchises, TV-am would go off air at 9.25 to allow the companies to run their startup sequences, before schools programmes would commence at 9.30.

The original hours were 6-9:15 as mentioned above, later revised to 9:25am, though I seem to remember they had 5:55am-9:15 initially for some reason that eludes me, though as 24hr broadcasting became more common, those 5 minutes went bye bye.

Though as it turned out anyway TV-am pushed back their start time to 6:15 and later 6:25 to save some money, though they did eventually come back to 6:15 but I think they didn't return to a 6am start until around the strike period.

(12-03-2024, 10:42 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  The original hours were 6-9:15 as mentioned above, later revised to 9:25am, though I seem to remember they had 5:55am-9:15 initially for some reason that eludes me, though as 24hr broadcasting became more common, those 5 minutes went bye bye.

Though as it turned out anyway TV-am pushed back their start time to 6:15 and later 6:25 to save some money, though they did eventually come back to 6:15 but I think they didn't return to a 6am start until around the strike period.

Originally TV-am started at 6:00am in February 1983. By the time Daybreak was axed in April it became 6:30am, and when the switch was automated in May, it soon settled on a 6:25am start. That was then brought forward to 6:15am from the start of 1985, where it remained until August 1987 when it changed to a 6:00am start, probably to help the flow of 24 hour TV that was just about to start in some regions. I don’t believe this was affected by the strike. Weekend and bank holiday start times did vary between 1983 and 87.
[-] The following 2 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • DavidV, Stuart

How does it work with Indies who win the tenders to produce BBC owned formats. How much creative control do they get and how do they make money? And with something like SPORTY now been tended out how does that work with those whose freelance contract or employment is with the BBC itself. Can it still cover their appearance on it?

ITV and STV seem happy to maintain the status quo even though there might be some logic in adjusting the slot to 5.30am-9am.

I guess with the upcoming renewal of licences the breakfast slot remains a separate licence, presumably with the same time slot - and I guess with "GMTV2" attached too, which I guess is back on ITV2 now having moved to CITV previously.