The Media Question Amnesty Thread

(12-03-2024, 02:48 PM)CCFG Wrote:  When the CITV Channel closed, ITV handed back two licenses to Ofcom, and due to *that* a few years ago, it can't be some sort of Irish version. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the second license could be the ex-GMTV2 license. (As it was technically a different channel, just on the same EPG number as the actual CITV Channel)

It’s essentially a legacy that any service launched on DTT using ITV’s space had to be fairly shared between the existing licensees. So when it came to ITV2 v1.0, you had the main ITV2 that was ran between Carlton, Granada and UNM, you had S2 ran by STV, TV You/UTV2 ran by UTV, and then you had GMTV claiming its spot at breakfast time. GMTV2 as we know outlived S2 and UTV2, but built a decent audience for airing kids shows, before being folded into the CITV Channel and ITV4 breakfast.

This logic (if you can call it that) was why you never saw the ITV Sport Channel in Northern Ireland initially or on air before 9:30am. It was also why ITV News Channel was blacked out during GMTV hours for a short while on DTT when it moved to the D3&4/PSB2 MUX. GMTV never had any intentions of broadcasting on those services during those hours, but they had a right to. I believe they did have an MHEG caption signposting to GMTV. However, the ITV NC blackout was short lived and a deal was reached. It didn’t effect the launch of ITV3, 4, Be etc.

I don’t know if this is my mind playing tricks, but I want to say there was a GMTV3 licence, but obviously never materialised.

Apologies if this doesn't meet the scope of this thread - there was a thread on the blue place but even that never seemed to have a definitive answer. Is anyone aware of a site showing historic (2000s onwards) UK TV listings?

Outside of Genome and tv24.co.uk (which is exactly what I'm after, but only for mid-2018 onwards), I feel like the my other option is to obtain old RT issues, which unless I'm just plain stupid (...which is likely), doesn't seem like a straightforward task in itself.

(12-03-2024, 08:13 PM)Jameseh Wrote:  Apologies if this doesn't meet the scope of this thread - there was a thread on the blue place but even that never seemed to have a definitive answer. Is anyone aware of a site showing historic (2000s onwards) UK TV listings?

Outside of Genome and tv24.co.uk (which is exactly what I'm after, but only for mid-2018 onwards), I feel like the my other option is to obtain old RT issues, which unless I'm just plain stupid (...which is likely), doesn't seem like a straightforward task in itself.

The old TV Room had a brilliant listings feature, sadly that has vanished now.

Newspapers are the obvious source I think, many public libraries offer access to a suitable archive of editions, often online.

IIRC Radio Times only published non-BBC listings from the 90s onwards.

There's a large chunk of listings on tvrdb.com - they seem mostly to be from the London region with a few exceptions and also paint the impression there was no ITV programming in London after 5:15 on a Friday after 1982 Smile

While it's not complete and will require a little digging through the filters and dates to find things, there is also an archive of recovered teletext pages available. Many TV listing pages for a lot of broadcasters will be present in there up to about 2010, and where it's very close to broadcast these may include corrections which didn't make the print editions so may not even be correct in archives based off printed listings.

www.teletextarchive.com 

TV Whirl - Since 2001

The FA Cup running into extra time earlier has reminded me, I meant to ask:

When ITV flog ad space for the likes of the FA Cup with the potential for it to go into extra time and penalties, do ITV sell ad space for the whole event as the "worse" case scenario, and if the match does not go to extra time but finishes when it should do as per the schedule, what happens to the adverts that now won't air and the money they've coughed up? Do they get a credit or does ITV just put them back in somewhere else in the schedule for a relatively similar number of eyes?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Stooky Bill

(17-03-2024, 09:14 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  The FA Cup running into extra time earlier has reminded me, I meant to ask:

When ITV flog ad space for the likes of the FA Cup with the potential for it to go into extra time and penalties, do ITV sell ad space for the whole event as the "worse" case scenario, and if the match does not go to extra time but finishes when it should do as per the schedule, what happens to the adverts that now won't air and the money they've coughed up? Do they get a credit or does ITV just put them back in somewhere else in the schedule for a relatively similar number of eyes?

I don't know if it's what ITV do or if they do anything differently, but the norm for extra time is to split the post-match break so for example if there are 4 minutes of commercials, you'd get 2 minutes of them before extra time and the other 2 minutes after. Ad Sales advise on which commercials go on which side of the split and it's all prepped by Playout in advance so it can be pasted in as needed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Transmission's post:
  • Stooky Bill

Wouldn't adverts in whatever programme is on afterwards be displaced too in that situation? Are those ads just dropped if that programme ends up not airing?

(18-03-2024, 08:58 AM)Transmission Wrote:  I don't know if it's what ITV do or if they do anything differently, but the norm for extra time is to split the post-match break so for example if there are 4 minutes of commercials, you'd get 2 minutes of them before extra time and the other 2 minutes after. Ad Sales advise on which commercials go on which side of the split and it's all prepped by Playout in advance so it can be pasted in as needed.

These days (yesterday being a good example) you still get a full length post match, even though there was extra time played, so I’m sure overall there were more adverts shown in the football than there would have been if the match finished in normal time.

Would an extra football audience ad break be prepared for this eventuality as I’m guessing the ad break prepared for the Deal or no Deal repeat would have been targeted to a different audience