Channel Closures

(31-08-2023, 10:32 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I didn't even know L!ve TV even had any local opt outs!

That final closedown was shown on Channel 4's 100 greatest TV moments from hell back in 2000- though the clip they showed was timecoded.

I don't think that final revamp and logo was in use for long at all. When L!ve TV made a return a few years later (seemingly only showing repeats of old content), they went back to using older idents.

I don’t know how many opts they had throughout the country, but there was certainly a Manchester L!ve service. 

When it rebranded, I believe it was in June, if not July 1999, essentially a last throw of the dice for the channel. The Kelvin Mackenzie novelties had certainly worn off by this time, and those who did have access to the channel were mostly watching it for its late night output.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nwtv2003's post:
  • lookoutwales

BBC HD bowing out with a montage of all their idents followed by a night of TCX was rather nice.

Not a channel but the effort they went to for the final edition of Pages from Ceefax was also pretty special too I thought.

Oh and not a channel nor a closedown as such but it was jolly nice that the full BBC Learning Zone idents came out to play after a long time away before the strand was abandoned.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 2 users Like WillPS's post:
  • LouBlu08, Roger Darthwell

I haven't attended many channel closures in my life, my first and only (soon to be first of two) one was the closure of NBCSN in America. I sat through some car auctions and waited until 5am on New Year's Eve for this and I'm not too sure if it was worth it or not.
[-] The following 2 users Like LouBlu08's post:
  • Medianext.MX, The Decimator

BBC Three's original closure in 2016. Felt surreal watching how the BBC was spinning it as a 'move online' when they didn't have the budget to keep it running, it did have a great send-off with the Late Late show cameo and the live continuity acknowledging the closure. 

UKTV Bright Ideas at least got a nice sendoff for a channel that was clearly approaching its end as Freeview became more important for many broadcasters to take seriously than just treating it as a shop window for their Pay TV offerings.

Virgin 1/Channel One went with a whimper considering that Sky was already in the process of overhauling its channel portfolio, it also marked the complete end of Flextech/VMTV as an independent channel provider. When it closed the HD swap reshuffle already took place and it was shunted to the less prominent areas of the Sky EPG as a temporary measure.

They did kill two birds with one stone by integrating aspects of Sky3 and Channel One into Pick.

[-] The following 2 users Like Rex's post:
  • benzj, LouBlu08

The end of the original Eurosport (the Sky-EBU version), presented here with both the off-air soundtrack and the talkback line (you'll probably need headphones for part of the latter) between Sky's Osterley TX and Hilversum.

Within ten days, TF1 had stepped in to replace Sky and Eurosport was back on air.

www.youtube.com 

That closure had been prompted by a complaint to the European Commission from the owners of Screensport, which of course ended up merging with Eurosport in 1993 as WH Smith backed out of satellite TV.

Sister channel Lifestyle was the first to disappear in January...

www.youtube.com 

...and then came Screensport's farewell in March (slightly NSFW on the football montage)

www.youtube.com 

A bit OT, but always had a soft spot for Screensport's last pres package - there were a few versions of the station theme too, including this wonderfully soothing mix at closedown:
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, The Decimator

(01-09-2023, 12:31 AM)Rex Wrote:  Virgin 1/Channel One went with a whimper considering that Sky was already in the process of overhauling its channel portfolio, it also marked the complete end of Flextech/VMTV as an independent channel provider. When it closed the HD swap reshuffle already took place and it was shunted to the less prominent areas of the Sky EPG as a temporary measure.

They did kill two birds with one stone by integrating aspects of Sky3 and Channel One into Pick.

Channel One died a month or so before Sky 3. Sky 3 actually had a set of branding which lasted I think a month before being replaced by PickTV which had a very similar ident. I presume they would have changed it at the same time but they did one of those 'Sky preview on Sky 3 weekends' (forget how they branded it now) in mid-Feb as part of their high profile launch of Sky Atlantic. Why they felt they couldn't do that on a channel not called 'Sky something' I don't know.

Channel One had been coasting since it lost the Virgin brand, it had gone back to being mostly content aggregated from across the Living TV Group (as it's forerunner Ftn mostly but not exclusively did). Commissions like 'Restaurant in our Living Room' were moved to Living. Challenge continued with minor tweaks to its branding and Freeview carriage largely as it had been for a few months before (i.e. not a lot going on) - it wasn't until the spring when new content began arriving, starting with TNA wrestling.

I can't think of what Channel One exclusive content made it over to Pick TV?

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 2 users Like WillPS's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, Rex

(01-09-2023, 04:10 PM)WillPS Wrote:  I presume they would have changed it at the same time but they did one of those 'Sky preview on Sky 3 weekends' (forget how they branded it now) in mid-Feb as part of their high profile launch of Sky Atlantic. Why they felt they couldn't do that on a channel not called 'Sky something' I don't know.

The 'Free Weekend Pass'. They had done a few of them in the years preceding. though considering the rebrand to Pick TV was to lessen the Sky 'premium' association, I can see why they would have kept Sky 3 for an extra months for one last outing of the pass.
presentationarchive.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes PATV Scunthorpe's post:
  • WillPS

In potato quality, the last few minutes of Shop!

youtu.be 

(01-09-2023, 12:31 AM)Rex Wrote:  Virgin 1/Channel One went with a whimper considering that Sky was already in the process of overhauling its channel portfolio, it also marked the complete end of Flextech/VMTV as an independent channel provider. When it closed the HD swap reshuffle already took place and it was shunted to the less prominent areas of the Sky EPG as a temporary measure.

Looks as though they had a nano second of a 'this channel is closed' caption. Not that it would have made much difference.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

(01-09-2023, 06:09 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  Looks as though they had a nano second of a 'this channel is closed' caption. Not that it would have made much difference.

Sky Digiboxes do not play well with channels going off the air. Explains why that caption was only seen for a millisecond
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rex's post:
  • The Decimator