Hollyoaks axed from C4, continues on E4

This has been predicted for a while and it is probably a step towards the axe completely but C4 is axing the 6.30pm airing of Hollyoaks on the main channel, with it airing on E4 at 7pm, with the next episode then released on, well, Channel 4.   The overnight omnibus will continue on C4 at the weekend.

No word on replacement programming - hope they're more ambitious than just double Simpsons.   Suspect they'll target the House of Games audience more than the Hollyoaks audience.

metro.co.uk 

Channel 4's press office release: www.channel4.com 

So if I understand the press release correctly it looks like an episode will be released in the order of...
Channel 4 streaming > E4 > Channel 4 linear omnibus > YouTube
I'm assuming that if they're showing episodes on YouTube that Channel 4 must be making sufficient ad revenue through that platform.

Couldn't help noticing the article opts to use "Channel 4’s linear channel" and "Channel 4 streaming", in order to distinguish between the two things.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • insert_good_username_here

Yes - if only the streaming service had a catchy alternative name.

They put a few things on YouTube now and act likes it's a new thing but I'm sure back in the 4oD days programmes were added to YouTube for a period too.
[-] The following 10 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • benzj, Daveuk, DJ Dave, ethanjbrady, insert_good_username_here, Jeff, LargelyALurker, Ma76, Nobby, radiorebel

(08-09-2023, 03:08 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes - if only the streaming service had a catchy alternative name.

In a few years' time, when linear viewing is a real minority, it's going to be a no-brainer that the streaming service is called 'Channel 4'. Might as well start that process now. I completely back it.

Considering it’s been an E4 first soap since about 2007 (maybe earlier?) this isn’t surprising. I can’t imagine there being a lot of people watching Hollyoaks at 6:30 on Channel 4 now. Infamously I recall most of the target audience watched it on Sunday mornings (hungover) for a while, but that slot has long since gone.

Inevitable sadly, will be interesting to see what it’s replaced with. It’d be a cop out if they put double Simpsons on, but I don’t think that rates as well as it used to at 6:00pm, I wouldn’t be surprised if they move that around the schedules too. But that’s not leaving the channel anytime soon.

A shame they axed Moneybags as thought something like that could work at 6pm if the slot became free.

(08-09-2023, 03:08 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes - if only the streaming service had a catchy alternative name. 

They put a few things on YouTube now and act likes it's a new thing but I'm sure back in the 4oD days programmes were added to YouTube for a period too.

It’s very catchy actually. Hollyoaks is no longer on Channel 4. It is now available on Channel 4 a day before it’s on E4.

So it is moving from Channel 4 to Channel 4 a day before it’s on E4. But it is no longer showing on Channel 4.
[-] The following 3 users Like radiorebel's post:
  • Ma76, Quantum+83, SunburntRock89

Another sign of youth audiences preferring to watch on VOD or E4 first rather than on C4 linear the next day.

Hollyoaks innovated with the first airing on a digital multichannel first and now joins EastEnders which has their first airing on iPlayer on the broadcast day.

(08-09-2023, 03:59 PM)radiorebel Wrote:  It’s very catchy actually. Hollyoaks is no longer on Channel 4. It is now available on Channel 4 a day before it’s on E4.

So it is moving from Channel 4 to Channel 4 a day before it’s on E4. But it is no longer showing on Channel 4.

I'm not remotely confused.
[-] The following 3 users Like James2001's post:
  • ethanjbrady, Ma76, SunburntRock89

(08-09-2023, 03:26 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  Considering it’s been an E4 first soap since about 2007 (maybe earlier?) this isn’t surprising. I can’t imagine there being a lot of people watching Hollyoaks at 6:30 on Channel 4 now. Infamously I recall most of the target audience watched it on Sunday mornings (hungover) for a while, but that slot has long since gone.

Inevitable sadly, will be interesting to see what it’s replaced with. It’d be a cop out if they put double Simpsons on, but I don’t think that rates as well as it used to at 6:00pm, I wouldn’t be surprised if they move that around the schedules too. But that’s not leaving the channel anytime soon.

I wonder how many people have watched it on C4 since the digital switchover?