BBC Four

(11-09-2023, 04:43 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Not really, that's the point of having resilience.... you can work on one side while the other continues.

There's multiple playout engines, two sets of suites in two cities and at least two sets of everything downstream of that.

There's no need these days to stop a channel  to do maintenence work

But it may be a lot easier to take a channel down to do whatever is needed
If there is no need for it to be outputting, ….
All the more so with current architectures where there is no main and standby.

On transmitters there are now totally separate main and reserve systems
So there is no half power working ……
Each system has duplicated transmitters and one is off and the other one is on
And the changeover is just a matter of a few seconds. ( I’ve done this on CP)

PSB A code and mux was installed such that at the change over point
both the A and B sides were identical I.e not only in content but in bit timing …
…. so you certainly could not see the join !

Another odd thing on Sunday night was that from 10pm they were apologising that programmes were on earlier than billed but when I checked my digital copy of Radio Times they were starting at the billed time.

So where was different starting times published ?

I think it was more that the times were different at statutory release
which is up,to 3 weeks earlier ! “Original billed time”
If they are changed later the media would reflect the newer times
If this happens within days of release the public will notknow any different
(Except in analogue days with PDC)

Yeah, I've had a quick look to give an idea of the specifics of this one and the final release (i.e. publication date) of the schedule for that week was August 30th, so even though this particular change was issued on Friday September 1st , which would have been before the week's Radio Times went to press, it was still technically a change to billed times.

(12-09-2023, 11:00 AM)Transmission Wrote:  Yeah, I've had a quick look to give an idea of the specifics of this one and the final release (i.e. publication date) of the schedule for that week was August 30th, so even though this particular change was issued on Friday September 1st , which would have been before the week's Radio Times went to press, it was still technically a change to billed times.

Though the print edition of Radio Times does have the original schedule, with a 3.20am closedown time.
[-] The following 3 users Like Robert Williams's post:
  • Gallunach, Happy2001, Transmission

(12-09-2023, 11:10 AM)Robert Williams Wrote:  Though the print edition of Radio Times does have the original schedule, with a 3.20am closedown time.

Ah, there you go then - easier answer, the digital copy of the RT gets later updates than the print edition!

(12-09-2023, 11:10 AM)Robert Williams Wrote:  Though the print edition of Radio Times does have the original schedule, with a 3.20am closedown time.

Which edition is that? The Wales edition has a closedown time of 01.45
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wrekin Havoc's post:
  • Nobby

(12-09-2023, 03:33 PM)Wrekin Havoc Wrote:  Which edition is that? The Wales edition has a closedown time of 01.45

England edition:

[Image: RT20230910.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users Like Robert Williams's post:
  • Gallunach, Happy2001, Ma76, Nobby

The same goes for NHK over in Japan, which always has to shut down at midnight for the same thing: Scheduled. Maintenance.

(13-09-2023, 08:27 AM)DiamondJoe2.0 Wrote:  The same goes for NHK over in Japan, which always has to shut down at midnight for the same thing: Scheduled. Maintenance.

Doesn't NHK quite often have to rip its plans up because its the designated broadcaster when there's an earthquake?
I'm sure its not impossible the requirement to get the word out about said earthquakes and related tsunamis has straddled midnight at some point and it sounds incredulous to pack up when the ground is literally moving beneath your feet or there's a tidal wave incoming...