BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service

(Yesterday, 06:09 PM)Daveuk Wrote:  For it to be successful they need a STB version that people can use on second TVs around the house.

Virgin Media seems to be getting a head start with their Stream box. Despite being locked to their broadband, once a one time fee is paid you have access to a large amount of FTV channels and in Ireland it appears to be the only box new customers can now get (I think). If you want to add channels you can on a monthly basis.

I'd be curious about stats for second TV usage these days - I feel like people tend to have a living room TV and use phones/tablets in other rooms, which obviously wasn't an option not so long ago. I wonder how typical that is?

I'm actually in the market for a new TV as the current one has a fault. Was waiting to see whether a Freely one makes sense, but less certain now, especially if it doesn't have the backwards EPG that Freeview Play has supported for many years. I'm also aware that very few TVs these days seem to have SCART sockets, which would mean being unable to connect up some old devices, not that they're used much anyway Smile

This is what Statista says ….. 18 M with 1tv 15M with 2 etc (2021)
www.statista.com 

But at the total licenses was about 25M so it does not quite add up!

One would hope that Freely will be to international standards
and a feature set based in what free …play does at the moment

You can get hdmi to scart converters…. Look on Amazon !