BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service

(15-01-2024, 11:42 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Exactly. A complete over reaction from many here. So far this is no different to Sky Glass - launch it with a TV, add more options later.
The 'puck' was available from day one, remember. There was a route to converting existing equipment if that's what you wanted to do, so long as you also took a Sky Glass TV (i.e. for a bedroom, essentially multiroom in reverse).

Availability was essentially restricted initially for business reasons (to push the TV they'd sunk a load of money in to), that's quite a different scenario to Freely, where (it seems!) there simply isn't one at all.

(15-01-2024, 11:42 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Practically it makes sense to get it up and running on one device, fix any bugs and then expand to other devices later. It's initial launch is effectively beta testing. It could be a disaster if they launch it too widely too soon if the crinkles aren't ironed out.
Over the air upgrades have been a thing for 25 years now. I very much doubt there will be any hardware differences between these Hisense TVs and other ones they'll sell in the rest of Europe (perhaps even domestically with different firmware).

(15-01-2024, 11:42 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Virtually all TV platforms have launched with one supplier then expanded overtime to be available in different ways. This is absolutely no different.
Quite the statement! Which TV platforms have launched with one single supplier of equipment, please?

The only ones I can think of are Sky Q and Sky Glass/Stream - which are intentionally proprietary products developed entirely in-house.

As a few hints - Sky Digital didn't, ONdigital didn't, digital cable didn't (although I suppose you could argue these were 3 different platforms), Freeview didn't, Freesat didn't...

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

So are you desperate to get Freely on every TV in your household as soon as it launches?

(14-01-2024, 05:14 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I guess that depends on what quality Freely will stream at. If it's low bitrate 25p streams like far too many streaming services are, then it's going to be a downgrade. Will need to be 50fps and a decent bitrate.
1080p at 50hz would be ideal, and it would be a substantially noticeable and welcome leap from the horrific image quality current Freeview has for the vast majority of channels. I've started to use VM Stream far more often because almost every channel genuinely looks far better at 1080p.

I'm not keen on them starting with a rollout of the service through just the Hisense TV range at the moment, especially as I'm planning to save up for a new TV soon.

(15-01-2024, 01:15 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  So are you desperate to get Freely on every TV in your household as soon as it launches?
Apologies in advance here - but I genuinely don't know if I am the 'you'; your question doesn't seem to be linked to anything I said but then you also haven't quoted anyone else nor has anybody else responded, and it seemed rude to just leave you hanging there any longer.

The answer to your question, if it was intended for me, is "it depends". I hope that helps you in your enquiries.

chatps.com

That was the intention - did try to edit the question so it didn't come across so bluntly and asked the question more broadly about the demand for it but the time limit got the better of me.

@WillPS - I've always respected your views on many things. It's clear we are (somewhat) on the same page, but that we differ in interpretation perhaps. However, I'm happy to agree to disagree and I'm sure that the details of Freely will become clearer in-time, allowing us to no doubt have further robust discussions. Whatever happens, if it thrives or fails, it's just one part of the tapestry of TV, media and presentation discussion that we have here. I bid you all the best for now Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Former Member 2410's post:
  • interestednovice, London Lite, WillPS

(15-01-2024, 08:05 PM)Former Member 2410 Wrote:  @WillPS - I've always respected your views on many things. It's clear we are (somewhat) on the same page, but that we differ in interpretation perhaps. However, I'm happy to agree to disagree and I'm sure that the details of Freely will become clearer in-time, allowing us to no doubt have further robust discussions. Whatever happens, if it thrives or fails, it's just one part of the tapestry of TV, media and presentation discussion that we have here. I bid you all the best for now Smile

Of course! We'll both be following with interest I'm sure...

chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • interestednovice

A few more details were announced yesterday including a preview of the UI. Will launch later this year on Vestel-manufactured TVs.

www.everyonetv.co.uk 

Dropbox folder with more pictures of the UI:

www.dropbox.com 

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 2 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • interestednovice, London Lite

Hopefully the EPG doesn't have NEW in front of all new episodes of programmes, one of the more modern trends I hate seeing. TV is so full of repeats that a new episode has to be highlighted, lest you think it's a repeat!
[-] The following 1 user Likes rick's post:
  • interestednovice

As the major author of the first international standardised EPG I regret not having a flag for NEW…..
The talking to DVB folk Sadly no one understood why I wanted it !
Hence everyone writing NEW which uses up 4 characters when you,don’t have very much …
But one hope the Everyone tv can have an extension via an IP delivered EPG which can have flags for NEW and May be aged repeat …
. As well as other features semi techy details of the programme like HLG or NGA etc …it needs a lot of consultation …
[-] The following 8 users Like Technologist's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, bilky asko, Brekkie, interestednovice, Ma76, RhysJR, rick