BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service

I suspect the Freeview Lite muxes may take slightly longer to switch off - or at least one PSB mux might be around for longer.

Otherwise though, I imagine the government will consider the broadband USO (Universal Service Obligation) as perfectly adequate to enable (at least in theory) every household to receive IPTV. The number of households which can receive at least one of FTTP, FTTC and/or VM HFC cable is already very high. 4G or 5G coverage may also help, and there is a further push to roll that out to rural areas too (mainly for emergency use, but it would allow TV too).

As I said in #21
There are about as many homes now which cannot get a 10 Mbit/s USO
As cannot get PSB DTT…… and that the isp/telco talk of them providing 30Mbit/s
as their USO offering.

As the current DTT transmission contracts run out in 2035 or thereabouts /later
There are a few years before the requirements and regulation/direction of a IP based telco modulation scheme
for some broadcast media need to be defined.

Keeping one DVB Mux running would more or less make the band unusable for anyone else
Unless a total frequency replan and retune is done…
(On the other hand we have seen government money spent in moving tv into the mobile bands
for a short period …So thus it may be funded !)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Technologist's post:
  • interestednovice

We now have a logo and animation for Freely…

x.com 

It’s nice, but looks far too similar to the iPlayer icon animation to me.
[-] The following 5 users Like Spencer's post:
  • bkman1990, ethanjbrady, interestednovice, Ma76, RhysJR

I imagine that’s probably intentional - subconsciously linking the service to recognisable iPlayer branding will help it resonate with viewers.

I'm reminded of elements of Network Ten's 2018 rebrand.

youtu.be 

(13-12-2023, 01:12 PM)Spencer Wrote:  We now have a logo and animation for Freely…

x.com 

It’s nice, but looks far too similar to the iPlayer icon animation to me.

It's giving me Digi Al vibes (pink branding, possibly robot-like, same/similar ownership?)

www.youtube.com 

I take it that calling an IP TV service Freely is a deliberate Simpsons reference?
[-] The following 13 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP, benzj, bilky asko, IanJRedman, JamieD, Keith, Larry the Loafer, Ma76, nwtv2003, Quantum+83, Spencer, TVFan, what

Will there be classic shows such as My Family, Only Fools, Family Affairs etc on the platform

(14-12-2023, 07:38 PM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  Will there be classic shows such as My Family, Only Fools, Family Affairs etc on the platform
Simple answer is don’t know but of course if moral rights are asserted ……no cinentent.
Freely seems to be a uk version of DVB -I which is an EPG covering emitted and IP delivered channels and IP catch-up/Vod etc. dvb-i.tv 
[-] The following 3 users Like Technologist's post:
  • interestednovice, JACKLUFC1998, Ma76

I was looking for more news about it - came across this site (so not 100% if it’s accurate) that is saying Freely will be available on Smart TVs only… no Amazon Firestick or Roku support. What?!

www.cordbusters.co.uk 

Quite literally one of the things I was looking forward to was to have everything in one place on my Fire TV… My TV is a Samsung of around 6 or 7 years old and stopped connecting to the internet after it updated itself one fateful day. This is quite baffling?
[-] The following 2 users Like orange's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, Ma76