BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service

There's nothing wrong in having the BBC regional radio on the EPG listed, at least I don't think so

It's better than switching to another app just for that
[-] The following 2 users Like Kunst's post:
  • eyeTV, interestednovice

(29-04-2024, 05:07 PM)Technologist Wrote:  The idea is that everything is available on the one EPG …is t any stranger than all BBC tv regions which there are now in DSAT.
With regards to the EPG I think it would help if Freeview and Freely used the same channel numbers. I think this would help viewers in migrating to Freely, and also if they have a combination of TVs in the house. It would also make it less confusing if for whatever reason a Freely device was used without streaming enabled.

The only difference in numbers might have to be to BBC One/Two, ITV1, Channel 4, and Channel 5. Even then, Freeview were supposed to be rolling out a channel swap for SD/HD version on modern Freeview equipment. If implemented this would mean that most viewers would be used to seeing BBC One HD on channel 1, with the SD version on 101 (or equivalent), whilst older boxes would only see the SD version on channel 1.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(30-04-2024, 08:51 AM)Keith Wrote:  With regards to the EPG I think it would help if Freeview and Freely used the same channel numbers. I think this would help viewers in migrating to Freely, and also if they have a combination of TVs in the house. It would also make it less confusing if for whatever reason a Freely device was used without streaming enabled.

The only difference in numbers might have to be to BBC One/Two, ITV1, Channel 4, and Channel 5. Even then, Freeview were supposed to be rolling out a channel swap for SD/HD version on modern Freeview equipment. If implemented this would mean that most viewers would be used to seeing BBC One HD on channel 1, with the SD version on 101 (or equivalent), whilst older boxes would only see the SD version on channel 1.
Sky Stream and Sky Q also differ just in the same aspect

There are definitely intricate issues with different platforms using the same channel numbers, such as more availability on Freely and the fact they're in any aspect two different platforms, so I understand why this happened

Looks like Freely has officially launched today!

twitter.com 

The channel list is a mess, who decided that we should have ITV2, then ITV 3, then BBC channels, then some Channel 4 channels, then ITV 4. Then why is there a gap between 618 and 692 in the radio section? It looks a total shambles.

It feels very rushed.

Almost to try and release something before the rush of the footie this coming summer and Eurovision. No UKTV and Sky (Challenge, Sky Arts, etc.) seems like a deal breaker for most, so it begs the question as to why you'd want to be an early adopter of Freely, if the channel offering is already what you can get on these catch up services anyway?

It practically just crashes down the point that you don't need an aerial when you clearly do if you're wanting Blaze or Legend. Disappointing.

(30-04-2024, 09:08 PM)rick Wrote:  The channel list is a mess, who decided that we should have ITV2, then ITV 3, then BBC channels, then some Channel 4 channels, then ITV 4. Then why is there a gap between 618 and 692 in the radio section? It looks a total shambles.
That's weird. Surely it'd make sense for the channel list to be BBC One, BBC Two, ITV1, Channel 4, Channel 5, BBC Three, BBC Four, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, ITVBe, E4, E4Xtra, More4, Film4, 4Music, 5Star, 5USA, 5Action. The only ones that should be separated from the rest from each provider after the main five channels are the kids and news channels (CBBC, Cbeebies, BBC News and BBC Parliament) and BBC Scotland (due to it not being available throughout the UK).

I suspect similar politics to what gave us the mess of the Freeview EPG over 20 years ago are at play here.

(01-05-2024, 02:00 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I suspect similar politics to what gave us the mess of the Freeview EPG over 20 years ago are at play here.

You'd hope not as there was not a precursor to Freely like ITV Digital and Freeview. Although the soft launch is reminiscent of the Freeview launch. the fact it's launched with limited vendors (and TIVO ain't what it used to be) suggests there is not much appetite in the market at the moment. Its not really got a killer app or any advantage over the alternatives.

(01-05-2024, 04:59 PM)cable Wrote:  You'd hope not as there was not a precursor to Freely like ITV Digital and Freeview. Although the soft launch is reminiscent of the Freeview launch. the fact it's launched with limited vendors (and TIVO ain't what it used to be) suggests there is not much appetite in the market at the moment. Its not really got a killer app or any advantage over the alternatives.

I guess the advantages are (potentially) all channels in HD.
And giving the full range (or even potentially larger than Freeview range) of channels especially in areas served by relay transmitters.

I think a biggest mistake here is not launching with apps on the key streaming platforms, Amazon Fire, Apple TV etc
Maybe just because they want a really soft launch, until they get all the Freeview channels out there, iron out bugs and maybe their CDN isn't fully capable of supporting this yet...