Hotel Television

Not the same hotel system I’m sure but was out for lunch at Souq Madinat in Dubai yesterday and they were showing Sky Sports.

A few weeks ago I was at the Fairmont Abu Dhabi and was watching the RWC on ITV. Is very common place here to have BBC, ITV and Sky Sports in all the major bars out here.

[Image: IMG-7935.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Daveuk's post:
  • Ma76

(01-10-2023, 04:11 PM)Daveuk Wrote:  Not the same hotel system I’m sure but was out for lunch at Souq Madinat in Dubai yesterday and they were showing Sky Sports.

A few weeks ago I was at the Fairmont Abu Dhabi and was watching the RWC on ITV. Is very common place here to have BBC, ITV and Sky Sports in all the major bars out here.

[Image: IMG-7935.jpg]

I am quite stunned to see that the Astra satellite can be picked up as far as Dubai!
[-] The following 5 users Like Roger Darthwell's post:
  • AndrewP, Daveuk, harshy, London Lite, Ma76

(01-10-2023, 06:16 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  I am quite stunned to see that the Astra satellite can be picked up as far as Dubai!

If they're coming off Astra 2D (the one with the tight footprint over the UK/Ireland) then in Dubai you'd need a dish that's so obscenely big its comical. Have seen dish sizes mentioned of anywhere up to 20m for that, which is pretty much impractical...

No I think its more plausible for the UK domestic channels to be piped in from a cable solution of some sort. Can you imagine 20m dishes on every single pub? Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • AndrewP, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

Bringing the topic back to home turf, I've just come back from a work-related trip which involved staying in a Travelodge in Staffordshire. One evening, I found myself with a bit of extra time in the evening, so I put on the local news, or I tried to at least. Given that the TV was supposed to be Freeview, I was quite surprised to see that I was actually watching the SD satellite feed and thus could only watch 30 minutes of this filler...

[Image: LG84Y0zE.jpg]

I kissed a gull and I liked it!
[-] The following 4 users Like BBI45's post:
  • IanJRedman, London Lite, Ma76, Stuart

(01-10-2023, 08:53 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  If they're coming off Astra 2D (the one with the tight footprint over the UK/Ireland) then in Dubai you'd need a dish that's so obscenely big its comical. Have seen dish sizes mentioned of anywhere up to 20m for that, which is pretty much impractical...

No I think its more plausible for the UK domestic channels to be piped in from a cable solution of some sort. Can you imagine 20m dishes on every single pub? Smile

I'd go for an illegal IPTV set-up for those Dubai bars.
[-] The following 5 users Like London Lite's post:
  • AndrewP, benzj, Daveuk, Roger Darthwell, Stuart

(30-09-2023, 10:45 PM)TVenthusiasm Wrote:  [...]
Technically I could also pick up ARD in the mornings as ZDF shows ARD's morning show Morgenmagazin following their own morning show also called Morgenmagazin.
[...]
There is a reason for that, and it is in their respective charters. Since 1966, ARD and ZDF's main channels (ARD: Das Erste, ZDF: ZDF) simulcast each other's output, alternating weekly on production across both channels, and this is mainly for cost reasons. Today, it is their morning and lunchtime magazine programmmes are are jointly broadcasts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamieMurph25's post:
  • Ma76

(01-10-2023, 08:53 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  If they're coming off Astra 2D (the one with the tight footprint over the UK/Ireland) then in Dubai you'd need a dish that's so obscenely big its comical.  Have seen dish sizes mentioned of anywhere up to 20m for that, which is pretty much impractical...

No I think its more plausible for the UK domestic channels to be piped in from a cable solution of some sort.  Can you imagine 20m dishes on every single pub? Smile

That must definitely be a very long cable then!
[-] The following 4 users Like Roger Darthwell's post:
  • AndrewP, DavidV, Ma76, Stuart

Bars in Crete have gigantic satellite dishes to receive sky sports although a lot of IPTV services were there as well (with frequent freezing)
[-] The following 3 users Like Humphrey Hacker's post:

(01-10-2023, 10:14 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  That must definitely be a very long cable then!

Sorry that was probably my fault , I didn't mean a physical cable.
IPTV as mentioned above is more likely these days (legality or otherwise), otherwise its probably a relay of some sort - as I say its very unlikely to be a straight lift from a satellite, due to the size of the dish needed (though not totally implausible, but quite unlikely) and bearing in mind that Sky Sports is encrypted...
[-] The following 3 users Like Neil Jones's post:

(01-10-2023, 10:38 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Sorry that was probably my fault , I didn't mean a physical cable.
IPTV as mentioned above is more likely these days (legality or otherwise), otherwise its probably a relay of some sort - as I say its very unlikely to be a straight lift from a satellite, due to the size of the dish needed (though not totally implausible, but quite unlikely) and bearing in mind that Sky Sports is encrypted...

Is the picture smooth or is it glitchy that would be an obvious giveaway if it’s iptv ie 1080p25
[-] The following 2 users Like harshy's post:
  • Ma76, Roger Darthwell