Hotel Television

(05-10-2023, 08:07 PM)Andrew Wrote:  I was recently in Tenerife, and the TV in the apartment must have had near enough 100 channels. Spanish channels, UK, French, Italian, possibly some other countries as well.

No BBC News Channel or BBC World but there was a Spanish 24 hour news channel

BBC One was London, but there were two versions of ITV - Channel Islands (which I suppose is the nearest region and kind of fitting for the Canary Islands) and bizarrely Border. There was also STV, and not even the central belt version, it was the Grampian version.

Also of note all the bars were showing the Rugby World Cup via ITV1
A couple of places I've stayed at in the Canaries recently had BBC One North East. There are various suppliers out there advertising dodgy equipment which can decode "BBC satback" - the back up distribution feed intended for Freeview transmitters, which started carrying NE after the Bilsdale mast fire as that feed was used in the recovery scenario. 

Last time I was there in early September it was showing BBC London so I assume the temporary Bilsdale mast is now feeding all of the relays.
[-] The following 4 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP, London Lite, Roger Darthwell, Stuart

I saw ITV1 being used in Greece in 2021 to show England matches(I left a couple of days before the most recent matches so I wonder if they could get Channel 4) and when I was there this summer Sky Sports News is pretty widespread. I’ve had BBC1 in hotels in Cyprus and I remember back in 2006 the Big Brother final was on in several bars in Greece.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • London Lite

(03-10-2023, 08:02 AM)JexedBack Wrote:  Hate it when hotel TV’s are locked down and you can’t retune them.
I consider it my public duty as an anorak to update them!!
One hotel room I stayed in had FTN as one dead channel!

I do the same and it's very frustrating when you can't! Recently stayed in a hotel in Manchester which had the channels in a very silly order, and no BBC One or ITV channels to be found.

I find with most hotels I’ve stayed in that a quick Google search can usually bring up the code to enter to get into hospitality mode menu to retune/reorder the channels.
[-] The following 3 users Like Dmch82's post:
  • fusionlad, Spencer, Stuart

(07-10-2023, 07:56 PM)Dmch82 Wrote:  I find with most hotels I’ve stayed in that a quick Google search can usually bring up the code to enter to get into hospitality mode menu to retune/reorder the channels.
In the latter case, that wasn't necessary, as we had BBC One NW and Granada (Which, to add context, we were in Chester in the Moxy Hotel on the canal. My assumption is that a lot of Germans go to Chester. FYI, go to the Moxy in Chester, its nice). If I had the foresight, I might have done that in Benidorm.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

(06-10-2023, 02:06 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  A couple of places I've stayed at in the Canaries recently had BBC One North East. There are various suppliers out there advertising dodgy equipment which can decode "BBC satback" - the back up distribution feed intended for Freeview transmitters, which started carrying NE after the Bilsdale mast fire as that feed was used in the recovery scenario. 

Last time I was there in early September it was showing BBC London so I assume the temporary Bilsdale mast is now feeding all of the relays.
The new, permanent Bilsdale mast is now up and in full operation. The temporary mast has been removed.