I recently got a new telly featuring Google TV and discovered that if you have the Rakuten TV app (at least here in the UK), then CNN International is included free as one of the channels under the "Live TV" tab. It may be available on other smart TV platforms too.

The same Rakuten TV app is also available for Android and iOS devices, and the same applies. CNN International included free as a channel without any need for login etc. The mobile apps are also Chromecast-enabled so you can stream to a TV with a Chromecast.

This post isn't an ad (!), just thought it might be of interest as this surprised me - given you have to sign up and pay for unlimited access if you go to CNN direct.

The quality of the stream looks great too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes scottishtv's post:
  • EastCoast

(27-03-2024, 04:18 PM)scottishtv Wrote:  I recently got a new telly featuring Google TV and discovered that if you have the Rakuten TV app (at least here in the UK), then CNN International is included free as one of the channels under the "Live TV" tab. It may be available on other smart TV platforms too.

The same Rakuten TV app is also available for Android and iOS devices, and the same applies. CNN International included free as a channel without any need for login etc. The mobile apps are also Chromecast-enabled so you can stream to a TV with a Chromecast.

This post isn't an ad (!), just thought it might be of interest as this surprised me - given you have to sign up and pay for unlimited access if you go to CNN direct.

Nice. And it’s actually the live channel and not just a FAST channel? The FAST channel is basically just a bunch of clips cut from recently aired shows.

(27-03-2024, 04:18 PM)scottishtv Wrote:  I recently got a new telly featuring Google TV and discovered that if you have the Rakuten TV app (at least here in the UK), then CNN International is included free as one of the channels under the "Live TV" tab. It may be available on other smart TV platforms too.

CNNi is also FTA on Samsung TV Plus which can be cast from a Samsung handset to a Chromecast with Google TV or Android TV.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • scottishtv

(27-03-2024, 04:43 PM)inletwindow Wrote:  Nice. And it’s actually the live channel and not just a FAST channel? The FAST channel is basically just a bunch of clips cut from recently aired shows.
Yes, you get both CNNI and CNN Fast:
up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

They also have other news streams (some I've never heard of): Euronews English, Reuters, The Washington Post Television, reverynews, Ticker News, Bloomberg Originals, Bloomberg Television, Africanews English, CGTN, Newsworld, GB News, Lead Story Breaking News, TIME and The Guardian.
[-] The following 1 user Likes scottishtv's post:
  • inletwindow

Quest is in the actual London set. He just did a stand up explainer with one of the (mobile?) touch screens in a corner of the studio. Most of the show has been just one shot though so aside from that virtually indistinguishable from a flash set.

It' s always great when he's in London these days, at least a chance to make the show a bit more active. He used to be all over the old NY set, using every corner of it. Now, after years of flash sets, I guess he got used to just sitting. QMB was a show with many props and fun things done to explain business things.

He's also doing Isa's hour all this week.

i.postimg.cc 
[-] The following 2 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • interestednovice, oscillon

(27-03-2024, 09:43 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  Quest is in the actual London set. He just did a stand up explainer with one of the (mobile?) touch screens in a corner of the studio. Most of the show has been just one shot though so aside from that virtually indistinguishable from a flash set.
Yes, nice to see him use the big London studio and not the flash set like they did several weeks ago. Along with the explainer, Quest did the Profitable Moment from the balcony (and even climbed down the stairs while on air afterwards).
postimg.cc 

postimg.cc 

postimg.cc 

postimg.cc 
[-] The following 5 users Like oscillon's post:
  • Charles, EastCoast, ginnyfan, interestednovice, Talkover

I do love that London set. It's like a mini version of what Sky News had from 2005 onward. You could run a 24/7 news channel out of it but we are sadly reduced to a few hours, if even that, daily.
[-] The following 2 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • interestednovice, Jeff

A while back we were all wondering/speculating or curious as to why there was such a mass exodus of anchors from CNNi....something tells me they got wind of the severe cutbacks and many of them decided it was time to scarper. Seems they were correct. The whole operation is definitely on a shadow of its former self.

The London set is great. It's easily the best set CNN has anywhere now. It's a brilliant design that makes use of what are probably otherwise a lot of space limitations.

One of my favorite parts is the glass view into the control room (or 'gallery'), though I don't think we get to see this one very often.

i.ibb.co 
Web Image

i.ibb.co 
Web Image

[-] The following 5 users Like Charles's post:
  • EastCoast, ginnyfan, interestednovice, matthieu1221, oscillon