(03-09-2022, 08:48 PM)Radiounion Wrote:  
(03-09-2022, 07:22 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  CNN White House reporter finally daring to challenge the Press secretary and a few CNN anchors questioning Biden's prime-time speech is enough for some to declare CNN the new FOX News. I saw the Twitter ''storm'' about it all. It's beyond laughable. The only thing it proves is just how low the journalism standards have fallen in the USA.

twitter.com 
See the message before yours on your "CNN is Fox News" message.

During Amanpour's shift at CNN International earlier, she's doing a roundtable with Bianca Nobilo, Nic Robertson and Scott McLean.

Amanpour asked McLean how does it feel "as an American" about the Death of Queen Elizabeth, and I just laugh when McLean corrected Amanpour that he is actually Canadian. Haha.

Have CNNI been in a full simulcast since Thursday or are they opting out when CNN switches back to their regular programming, usually the bottom of the hour?

CNN is replacing New Day with a new morning programme in the US:

www.nytimes.com 

Quote:The network announced on Thursday that one of the network’s prime-time mainstays, Don Lemon; a midmorning anchor, Poppy Harlow; and a White House correspondent, Kaitlan Collins, would be the new faces of a completely revamped morning show.

The new show represents Chris Licht’s biggest programming move since taking over as CNN’s chairman in May, and it has big implications for the network’s prime-time lineup, too. Mr. Licht is still searching for a host for the 9 p.m. role that Chris Cuomo occupied before he was fired late last year, and he will now need to fill Mr. Lemon’s 10 p.m. hour, too.

The morning show will get a name change and a new format and set, the network said. The current show from 6 to 9 a.m. is “New Day.” CNN executives are hoping to have the new show up and running in late October, ahead of the midterm elections, but no definitive timetable was given other than announcing that it would make its debut this year.

(15-09-2022, 02:29 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  CNN is replacing New Day with a new morning programme in the US:

www.nytimes.com 

Quote:The network announced on Thursday that one of the network’s prime-time mainstays, Don Lemon; a midmorning anchor, Poppy Harlow; and a White House correspondent, Kaitlan Collins, would be the new faces of a completely revamped morning show.

The new show represents Chris Licht’s biggest programming move since taking over as CNN’s chairman in May, and it has big implications for the network’s prime-time lineup, too. Mr. Licht is still searching for a host for the 9 p.m. role that Chris Cuomo occupied before he was fired late last year, and he will now need to fill Mr. Lemon’s 10 p.m. hour, too.

The morning show will get a name change and a new format and set, the network said. The current show from 6 to 9 a.m. is “New Day.” CNN executives are hoping to have the new show up and running in late October, ahead of the midterm elections, but no definitive timetable was given other than announcing that it would make its debut this year.
This is probably his most shocking move yet. Why move your greatest asset / I’m speaking of Caitlin Collins to a slot that CNN have never been able to take a bite at. It’s such a waste of her talent. It zapped Brianna Kielar ability to mail politicians. 

Ugh I dread to this of what’s coming next.

Well this is an interesting and bold move by Chris Licht. Don Lemon moving to breakfast was not what I was expecting giving that he is kinda of the opposite what Licht originally wanted from his new direction. I suppose it's possible for Don to tone down his on air opinions given that he has worked well before he got Zuckered into an opinionated talking head and he may actually fit better on breakfast. Very pleased for Poppy Harlow and Kaitlin Collins though, Poppy has been a capable anchor on Newsroom with Jim and I think it was only a matter of time for Kaitlin to get a presenting role. She has basically been the main cover on New Day for Brianna when she has been off and has covered several other shows so I'm not surprised she has gone a permanent position, she has been a capable correspondent and has translated that well to presenting from what I have seen.

On the other side though, I feel really sorry for John Berman and Briana Kielar as they are great presenters stuck in a rather failed format from the bosses point of view. New Day in it's current format has clearly failed to cut through and they have fallen foul of the format they have been given. Doesn't help they are not even together most of the time anyway and it's clear that the new show will go back to being a New York only show rather than splitting the resources between Washington and New York. Hopefully both of them gets prime time slots but I dunno it'll be a demotion for them if one of them don't.

I can see Laura Coates being the favourite for a prime time show now there are two slots open. she has been on that 9pm slot quite regularly now and her style of questioning and grilling would be great for an evening show. Maybe Don's show will be replaced by a more serious news based evening news and analysis show that would fit well with one of John and Brianna presenting.

I doubt John or Brianna will get anywhere near prime time. Will probably just fill in for others, until they leave.

The new morning line-up sounds interesting. I'm not that fond of Lemon but if he can tone it down and go back to being a newsreader, then maybe he can be bearable again. Poppy and Kaitlan are fine so it's good to see them promoted.

Anyway, the best outcome would be for CNNI not to air this at all, or at least cut it down to one hour.

Seeing what they announced, it looks like Chris Licht might try to import the Morning Joe and CBS This Morning format of hard news, analysis, discussion and original reporting into the slot. When Chris directed both shows, they increased ratings for the morning slots in which MSNBC and CBS struggled for years, and this would be a much needed boost for them. However, after Morning Joe and CBS This Morning came, dozens of imitations have come and gone, and the boost for CNN might be difficult in the long term.

Speaking of new set, hoping they get rid of the brick wall set; the original version of it was good, but the imitation done at Hudson Yards looks horrible, not speaking by the other imitation done at the former HLN set in Atlanta.

(15-09-2022, 04:24 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  I doubt John or Brianna will get anywhere near prime time. Will probably just fill in for others, until they leave.

The new morning line-up sounds interesting. I'm not that fond of Lemon but if he can tone it down and go back to being a newsreader, then maybe he can be bearable again. Poppy and Kaitlan are fine so it's good to see them promoted.

Anyway, the best outcome would be for CNNI not to air this at all, or at least cut it down to one hour.

Don't think they will be demoted to fill-ins. Maybe they will get an hour or two in the daytime slots, and Keilar can fit into a political show like Inside Politics or State of the Union.

Speaking of Lemon, he has still some of the opinionated style he had during the Zucker era, but I have the feeling he has since toned down things a bit after receiving a rebuke by Licht himself (reported by the NYT shortly after he took over as President of CNN).

‘New Day’ was doomed the moment someone signed off on anchoring the show from different cities. You can’t build chemistry off a satellite link. Still I feel bad for John Berman, who’s been a natural fit in mornings since he took over from Ashleigh Banfield on ‘Early Start’:

youtu.be 

Brianna always felt better suited for ‘The Situation Room’ than ‘New Day’. Hopefully she’s back on that trajectory after this misstep into mornings. Despite it’s demise I’m glad to see the ‘New Day’ name leave us. It’s gone so far from its roots and has lost the feeling of a morning show along the way:

youtu.be 

Hopefully we’ll also see a new lower third package as well as a more sophisticated “Newsroom” brand for the US editions. As for sets, hopefully the boring and cramped newsroom set finds it’s way in the dumpster with the brick set. The midday and international newscasts from New York deserve actual studios to broadcast from. Very likely we’ll also get a permanent prime time show from Washington and an update to those studios as well. (With three hours to fill either Acosta, Brown, Coates, Hunt, or Tapper are bound to end up with a prime time show).

I am curious where Kate Bolduan will end up. I thought she would get a second chance at morning since her 11am hour feels odd between Newsroom and Inside Politics. Maybe now she’s move into a west coast wake up slot or something closer to evening.

Edit to add: For anyone keeping track, here is the morning show anchor graveyard for the past 10 years:

[*]Ashleigh Banfield
[*]John Berman
[*]Kate Bolduan
[*]Dave Briggs
[*]Alisyn Camerota 
[*]Chris Cuomo
[*]Brianna Keilar
[*]Soledad O’Brien
[*]Michaela Periera 
[*]Zoraida Sambolin
[-] The following 1 user Likes EastCoast's post:
  • Newsroom

RIP New Day, home to one of TV's greatest innovations, the sponsored couch walk.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 3 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • EastCoast, mark, TVFan