(10-02-2023, 06:05 AM)Charles Wrote:  I hope we see less of that awful Washington studio. The weird virtual thing they do during The Lead looks awful. You can visibly see some pixelation and moiré on the stylized CNN logo in one of the fake 'wall' backdrops.

Actually, since 2018 The Lead and Inside Politics are in yet another Washington studio called Studio D, with its 3 vertical screens and a curved LED pillar. It is totally separate from A/B and previously (mid-2000s) had windows with a live view of the Capitol.
Here is a nice article from NewsCastStudio when it re-opened in its current configuration:
www.newscaststudio.com 

(10-02-2023, 06:05 AM)Charles Wrote:  The glass divider between the two spaces was cool, but we don't really even see much of that anymore.
Has there ever been a time when it was, like, shown on air (and not in the press photos that we did not have much of after the last couple of refurbishments)? I wonder what would the scenario be for that to happen. The one that comes to mind is when Jake, who was in the B studio with the Lead prior to 2018, threw it over to Wolf in neighboring A. Or was it during a very wide shot of TSR pundits discussion when they still had a round table?

(10-02-2023, 11:51 AM)oscillon Wrote:  The one that comes to mind is when Jake, who was in the B studio with the Lead prior to 2018, threw it over to Wolf in neighboring A. Or was it during a very wide shot of TSR pundits discussion when they still had a round table?

That's correct, when Jake threw to Wolf he would often be adjacent to the wall with it visible and would say "handing things over to Wolf Blitzer who's right next door, in The Situation Room". Then, Wolf's starting shot would be on the same video wall. Wasn't common to see the divider, but it was visible from time to time.

While we're reminiscing about the Washington Studio - here's a short video of how they did it.

youtu.be 

I don't think the current DC set looks too bad. Only thing that really irks me is the virtual set extensions on The Lead which look pretty terrible. No idea why they decided to modify the look of the show when it got extended to 2 hours.
[-] The following 1 user Likes matthieu1221's post:
  • Charles

(10-02-2023, 01:55 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  I don't think the current DC set looks too bad. Only thing that really irks me is the virtual set extensions on The Lead which look pretty terrible. No idea why they decided to modify the look of the show when it got extended to 2 hours.

It's 12-13 years old. It's had a good innings, time for a proper change that doesn't entail a couple of new desks and panels. Not entirely sure Licht has the budget right now so we shall see what they come up with by the time April arrives.

Wow, new Puck article out about how Licht allegedly wants to hire Charles Barkley for primetime.

Quote:Licht’s plan, I’ve been told, is to thread together a rotating lineup of star-helmed shows, interspersed with regular programming and some big special events, into a programming patchwork that eschews the traditional one-host, five-nights-a-week strategy for something more akin to broadcast entertainment: one lineup on Mondays, another on Tuesdays, and so on.

Sounds interesting? Don't know if it'll particularly catch on though. Reminds me of what franceinfo: tried to do with their 9pm hour.

puck.news 

(10-02-2023, 11:51 AM)oscillon Wrote:  
(10-02-2023, 06:05 AM)Charles Wrote:  I hope we see less of that awful Washington studio. The weird virtual thing they do during The Lead looks awful. You can visibly see some pixelation and moiré on the stylized CNN logo in one of the fake 'wall' backdrops.

Actually, since 2018 The Lead and Inside Politics are in yet another Washington studio called Studio D, with its 3 vertical screens and a curved LED pillar. It is totally separate from A/B and previously (mid-2000s) had windows with a live view of the Capitol.
Here is a nice article from NewsCastStudio when it re-opened in its current configuration:
www.newscaststudio.com 
Thanks for that. I'd forgotten that they redid that studio and that it's the current location for The Lead. Honestly, it's so hard to tell all the different CNN sets apart these days because they're all pretty unremarkable-borderline-terrible. That Captiol set as it was before was much more interesting with the real window, and wasn't there a newsroom part to it too? It's sad that it's now just a boring studio full of monitors like everything else and with the real window hidden.

Seriously, I was watching the Lead today, and the texture on the faux 'wall' backdrop behind Sarah Matthews was moiréing. I can't believe somebody went ahead and said, 'yeah, this looks good':

twitter.com 

(10-02-2023, 11:51 AM)oscillon Wrote:  Has there ever been a time when it was, like, shown on air (and not in the press photos that we did not have much of after the last couple of refurbishments)? I wonder what would the scenario be for that to happen. The one that comes to mind is when Jake, who was in the B studio with the Lead prior to 2018, threw it over to Wolf in neighboring A. Or was it during a very wide shot of TSR pundits discussion when they still had a round table?
I remember seeing it occasionally on wide shots. I remember there was also a fourth wall on the Studio A side that had frosted glass with some monitors behind it in sort of a control room pattern. You'd maybe see it if Wolf had a panel or if a correspondent was presenting something on that smaller plasma in the corner. That looked nice.

Wow, they've managed once again to put Boris and Christi in the same studio for the weekend
[Image: image.png]
(11-02-2023, 05:19 AM)Charles Wrote:  I remember there was also a fourth wall on the Studio A side that had frosted glass with some monitors behind it in sort of a control room pattern. You'd maybe see it if Wolf had a panel or if a correspondent was presenting something on that smaller plasma in the corner. That looked nice.
I remember that one, too, it was usual backdrop for Wolf when he sat down with the panel. However, I have a hunch that it was shown on the same videowall to the right of the curved wall that Wolf used to stand at in the beginning of the show (which is the studio A part of the long video wall connecting A and B studios)
or see archive.org 

(11-02-2023, 12:26 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Wow, they've managed once again to put Boris and Christi in the same studio for the weekend
(11-02-2023, 05:19 AM)Charles Wrote:  I remember there was also a fourth wall on the Studio A side that had frosted glass with some monitors behind it in sort of a control room pattern. You'd maybe see it if Wolf had a panel or if a correspondent was presenting something on that smaller plasma in the corner. That looked nice.
I remember that one, too, it was usual backdrop for Wolf when he sat down with the panel. However, I have a hunch that it was shown on the same videowall to the right of the curved wall that Wolf used to stand at in the beginning of the show (which is the studio A part of the long video wall connecting A and B studios)
or see archive.org 
That's Amara and that's the first time Sanchez has ever anchored with her from Atlanta since she got the gig. 

He only anchored once, twice at a push when Christi was his co-anchor and one of those occasions was when she left CNN.