(02-11-2022, 12:42 AM)gman Wrote:  
(01-11-2022, 10:10 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Well the new look shows are great so far. I really do like the refresh to International Newsroom and it's a shame the US look cannot keep up with the times because International is how you do it. It's good that some elements of the old International look has been kept in the design and it blends in well with some of the refreshed bits. It still makes a fantastic look in the London Studio and I think Atlanta looks even better with it as well.

Presenting wise, Max and Bianca were as great together as you would expect them to be and from the bits I saw of CNN This Morning, I think the three of them are building a good chemistry just from the first show. I do like the temporary set so hopefully the theme we saw today is the theme we are going to see when they move to their permanent studio.

I'm not so sure why they launched the new  CNNI shows now of all times. US elections coming up next week so they're only going to be taken off the air again!
Any time someone in the US breaks wind, CNNI loses a show! I mean, the second CNN Newroom with Max was meant to launch months ago but never did and Your World Today disappeared altogether!

Yes but Euro-mornings are usually not affected by this because it's overnight in the US and they rely on CNNI to produce and fill in their schedule.

(03-11-2022, 10:59 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  
(02-11-2022, 12:42 AM)gman Wrote:  I'm not so sure why they launched the new  CNNI shows now of all times. US elections coming up next week so they're only going to be taken off the air again!
Any time someone in the US breaks wind, CNNI loses a show! I mean, the second CNN Newroom with Max was meant to launch months ago but never did and Your World Today disappeared altogether!

Yes but Euro-mornings are usually not affected by this because it's overnight in the US and they rely on CNNI to produce and fill in their schedule.

In normal circumstances yes, but all elections since 2000 have had CNN/US going right through until there is a "definitive" result.

(03-11-2022, 12:22 AM)Medianext.MX Wrote:  Jake Tapper is moving back to anchor The Lead after the midterms.

thehill.com 

Which leaves Brianna Keilar and John Berman without a slot
[-] The following 2 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • bkman1990, Medianext.MX

(03-11-2022, 11:44 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  
(03-11-2022, 12:22 AM)Medianext.MX Wrote:  Jake Tapper is moving back to anchor The Lead after the midterms.

thehill.com 

Which leaves Brianna Keilar and John Berman without a slot

Hopefully they co-anchor the 9pm ET CNN Tonight. Like the 10pm hour

(03-11-2022, 01:47 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  I don't Licht sounds like the type of guy that wants CNN to start chasing ratings and axe every show under the sun if it doesn't do well at first. 
Yep - and, as far as I'm aware, it was also a fairly soft launch, which wouldn't normally generate a significant ratings bump.

According to the schedule on CNN's website, the weekend edition of New Day will be called... CNN This Morning Weekend.

Also, looking at the schedule got me thinking that Bianca and Max's new pairing/slot could be easily extended on CNNi to replace Early Start (of if we keep dreaming, be moved earlier in the day and expanded to a full European Breakfast show)...
[-] The following 2 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • EastCoast, ginnyfan

Wow, what a week to be absolutely swamped at work! Appreciate all of the CNN Newsroom and CNN This Morning caps and video clips shared over the past few days. Finally getting around to sharing my thoughts:

The Good

CNN This Morning seems to bring a much more appropriate balance to the mornings. New Day felt heavy and, as others have pointed out, had little chemistry towards the end of it's tenure thanks to the dueling locations. Don, Poppy, and Kaitlan felt like they had natural chemistry day one, a stark difference from Chris, Kate, and Michaela's awkwardness during New Day's launch. Despite the criticism it doesn't feel less newsy to me, just less political newsy. I like the intro, the music, and the temp set. Can't wait to see what the permanent set looks like.

CNN Newsroom with Max Foster and Bianca Nobilo is a welcome addition to CNNI. Feels like a solid step in the right direction that I hope is expanded on. The music reminds me of Quest Means Business. CNN Newsroom with Rosemary Church looks as good as ever. 

The Not So Good

John Berman has been a fixture of CNN's morning lineup since July 16, 2012. It's a shame that he no longer has a permanent show. The sad part is that this is the second time he's lost out thanks to a new morning show. When New Day replaced Starting Point, John Berman went from an important part of the morning show to just the early hour co-anchor. Can't help but think that if Brianna had relocated to New York he might have been able to stay the face of CNN's morning show.  

John Vause didn't seem like his old self. Maybe it's the midnight hours or comparing his show to the refreshed 4AM hours, but he seemed a little rushed this morning. Pairing him with Rosemary might help him out and bring some excitement back to the breakfast hours.

The Logos don't seem to have the wow factor.  With CNN This Morning the "CNN" feels too heavy compared to the thin lettered "This Morning". As for Newsroom, the varying text orientations, thicknesses of the letters, and colo(u)rs of the word "Newsroom" (sometimes "News Room") just doesn't feel cohesive to me.

The Backgrounds for CNN Newsroom aren't the slam dunk the CNN This Morning skyline is. Atlanta uses a bulky white 3D box and textured letters that clash with Studio 7 during the parting live shot while London has too many red stripes. The repeating white outlined "Newsroom" is probably my least favo(u)rite part of the whole look. 

The Feeling that on its own the new look CNN Newsroom is decent, but not quite as good as the version it replaces. 

The Questions

CNN Newsroom airs for 5 hours. Why are two anchors needed for the final hour while the same number carry the first four between them? It doesn't seem balanced and leads to believe, as @matthieu1221 mentioned, that Max and Bianca's show will be extended. I wonder as well if Early Start is on it's last legs. 

The Global Brief is now without a permanent anchor. When will a replacement be announced? I'm not sure who has the chops to carry the show as well as Bianca did. I also wonder if the show moves to Atlanta since World Sport is already broadcasting at that hour from Studio 7. By chance, does anyone know who has been anchoring this week?

Overall, what's next? There are certainly more moves at play in the CNN US lineup, especially primetime, and with CNNI. Glad we have this space to share and discuss them.
[-] The following 2 users Like EastCoast's post:
  • alex.w, matthieu1221

(05-11-2022, 12:07 AM)EastCoast Wrote:  The Global Brief is now without a permanent anchor. When will a replacement be announced? I'm not sure who has the chops to carry the show as well as Bianca did. I also wonder if the show moves to Atlanta since World Sport is already broadcasting at that hour from Studio 7. By chance, does anyone know who has been anchoring this week?
Lynda Kinkade has been anchoring The Brief

(05-11-2022, 12:07 AM)EastCoast Wrote:  The Backgrounds for CNN Newsroom aren't the slam dunk the CNN This Morning skyline is. Atlanta uses a bulky white 3D box and textured letters that clash with Studio 7 during the parting live shot while London has too many red stripes. The repeating white outlined "Newsroom" is probably my least favo(u)rite part of the whole look.

Also agree with this. Not a big fan of the white and red box on the Atlanta Studio 7 backdrop (and in London too to the side of the double anchor shot), and the lack of color variety (old Newsroom backdrop was also majority blue toned but not to that extent). Also not a big fan of the 'Newsroom' small text that scrolls in the lower part of the backdrop in the close up shots of anchors. I much preferred the big letters spelling 'Newsroom' which scrolled across the cityscape backdrops which were barely noticeable but a nice touch. A big downgrade imo from the old Newsroom backdrops, CNN Today ones (CNN Today in Studio 7 looked gorgeous, just look at the video below!) and YWT for instance.
www.youtube.com 

And as EastCoast points out, there are a lot of inconsistencies in the new Newsroom branding, including the short intro at the beginning of this video with a massive CNN logo with the 'Newsroom with John Vause' beneath it.
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes matthieu1221's post:
  • EastCoast

One thing I liked about CNN Newsroom's OBB is they brought back the GO BEYOND BORDERS tagline on the world map frame. It kinda distinguishes international Newsroom from the US.

About John Vause, I also noticed the change in his delivery nowadays. It's so rushed and barely comprehensible at times. It certainly wasn't like that before. I think ever since they cancelled Newsroom LA he hasn't been enjoying his slot or work. He loved being in LA and doing the show from there. I'm surprised he lasted this long in that slot after LA.

Atlanra overnights are in desperate need of an overhaul. My perfect pairing would be Michael Holmes and Rosie from 6-9 CET and then extended London edition with Max and Bianca.