(02-12-2022, 01:56 AM)TMD_24 Wrote:  If this is correct, about 400 roles are going. Some of the behind the scenes team for shows are being asked to work on multiple shows now.

It will be interesting to see how the whole "work on multiple shows" thing works. That's essentially how CNN International already operates. But at CNN U.S. -- it's a single show team for every anchor or anchor pairing. So there are entire teams that only work on a single hour, which doesn't make a ton of sense.

(02-12-2022, 07:14 PM)sky303 Wrote:  HLN didn't air Robin Meade's show this morning , so, I guess there's not going to be a good bye on air, that's a shame for someone who had been with them for 21 years. "Weekend Express" is not the schedule anymore either, so it's last edition was November 20th (HLN took Thanksgiving weekend off). I didn't see anything about if they let Susan Hendricks go too.

It again seems that the people who run CNN really just don't like the Atlanta part and this is them further decimating it.

Interesting. The widely-shared Licht memo said it would be effective December 6 for HLN -- that's next Tuesday.
Maybe they just decided to give HLN folks a day to grieve and there will be a couple more shows? Or maybe not.

If it was meant to take effect immediately, you'd think it would have said that???? Like for CNNI's 5P show, it said effective immediately.

As for the Atlanta part -- yeah, now the only things anchored out of Atlanta are CNNI overnights, CNN This Morning Weekend, and Fredricka Whitfield's Newsroom hours.

I wonder what will happen to the space at Techwood that had been earmarked for HLN.

This article indicates there will be one final Morning Express on Monday - "The team will have a chance to sign off on Monday morning."
www.theatlantic.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like excel99's post:
  • EastCoast, Kojak, matthieu1221, Newsroom, sky303

CNN are doing Election Coverage of the Georgia Senate runoff race on Tuesday but interestingly it's Wolf Blitzer and Erin Burnett listed to present it rather than Jake Tapper and Anderson Cooper. I was surprised at first but I wonder I wonder if the reason for use Wolf and Erin instead is down to the fact that there is less riding on this race now Senate control is decided? Had the Senate been a tossup then maybe Jake and Anderson would have been used.

(02-12-2022, 10:54 PM)excel99 Wrote:  This article indicates there will be one final Morning Express on Monday - "The team will have a chance to sign off on Monday morning."
www.theatlantic.com 
In case any of you didn’t catch it, this article is written by Brian Stelter.

Really a shame to see Morning Express and HLN disappear. Headline News could’ve been the right format for introducing live news to the HBO Max/Discovery/whatever the new app is called. Hoping the HLN talent bounce back strong.

(03-12-2022, 12:08 AM)TMD_24 Wrote:  CNN are doing Election Coverage of the Georgia Senate runoff race on Tuesday but interestingly it's Wolf Blitzer and Erin Burnett listed to present it rather than Jake Tapper and Anderson Cooper. I was surprised at first but I wonder I wonder if the reason for use Wolf and Erin instead is down to the fact that there is less riding on this race now Senate control is decided? Had the Senate been a tossup then maybe Jake and Anderson would have been used.

I suspect it's for the same reasons why Wolf was drafted in for the second half of the Midterms coverage, even having to miss some pre-existing commitments he had.
[-] The following 1 user Likes matthieu1221's post:
  • cam

Smerconish is broadcasting from New York this morning, could be part of the reduction in renting studios for guests that was mentioned recently.

(03-12-2022, 04:32 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  Smerconish is broadcasting from New York this morning, could be part of the reduction in renting studios for guests that was mentioned recently.
Not sure that would reduce costs. They’d still need to pay for his travel, accommodation and whatever else. 

Was he in a flash studio?

(03-12-2022, 04:39 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Was he in a flash studio?

Yep, he was in a flash studio. If anything it means not paying rent on another place which would be more than a train ticket from Philly to NYC. We’ll see if this is permanent. Would be nice to see him in a real studio again.

Here are 2 videos of Polish tv reporting from CNN Center, about CNN, in 2003. A painful reminder of what CNN used to be, operating 3 news channels from Atlanta, with 3 completely different, unique schedules and presenter line-ups. We get to see some behind the scenes shots from CNNI's newsroom and old newsroom set, with Your World Today presenting teams in action / Zain Verjee & Jim Clancy and Michael Holmes & Daljit Dhaliwal. Other reporters and presenters, like Jonathan Mann and Octavia Nasr, also make appearances.

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • bkman1990, Charles, EastCoast, Medianext.MX

Great find! Though that also shows in varying degree several of the varied networks that CNN operated at that time. You can see glimpses of CNN Headline News and CNN En Espanol in addition to CNNI and CNN Domestic. Also, around the time that video was made, CNNfn was still around (though IIRC most of that came from New York), as well as CNNS/I and CNN Airport Network (which shuttered last year).

It's too bad to see HLN basically die with the cancellation of Morning Express, though in the era of cost-cutting, I suppose I can see how that would be some low hanging fruit. This is honestly a pretty big moment in CNN's history to cut live news programming from that channel after 40+ years. I still think they could have made a go of it with another format, perhaps something along the lines of a Euronews-style anchorless newswheel format, or a slightly better version of the live stuff that Fox is doing with LiveNOW. Neither of those would require a ton of resources yet could potentially bring in more eyeballs than the millionth rerun of Forensic Files.
[-] The following 3 users Like Charles's post:
  • benzj, bkman1990, mouseboy33