BBC One Christmas 2023

They’ve been nice, though for some programmes have seemed a little off (some Eastenders over Christmas and Die Hard 2 for some examples). I think they made the right call using the Christmas Tree night variant for Vigil (afaik), byt not so for other shows/films.

Overall nice, but not the campaign of old with endboards, trailers and blips designed to match. It would be nice to see an ident or a few designed for the channel next year not centred around the animation, possibly something a bit more magical. It’s going back to a different generation, but the 90s ‘1’s’ were all very different but had the symbol that connected them all, in the same way that the BBC Two curve idents have. I don’t know what BBC One could do with the lens, but maybe it could be explored.

BBC One Scotland diverging quite significantly from Network tonight for Hogmanay programming, which is pretty normal for this night of the year.

However they're missing the Late BBC News bulletin entirely so we've been treated to 15 minutes of the BBC News Channel from 8:00-8:15pm. Rather bizarre as it only covered New Year in Dubai, IDF withdraw some troops, Edinburgh to welcome in the New Year.

Maybe it was just to fill a hole in the schedule?
[-] The following 1 user Likes scottishtv's post:
  • interestednovice

(31-12-2023, 09:25 PM)scottishtv Wrote:  BBC One Scotland diverging quite significantly from Network tonight for Hogmanay programming, which is pretty normal for this night of the year.

However they're missing the Late BBC News bulletin entirely so we've been treated to 15 minutes of the BBC News Channel from 8:00-8:15pm. Rather bizarre as it only covered New Year in Dubai, IDF withdraw some troops, Edinburgh to welcome in the New Year.

Maybe it was just to fill a hole in the schedule?

Don’t they usually do a separate late bulletin on NYE?

A bit OT, but I notice over on BBC4, Scotch and Wry is getting its first BBC network screening in over 40 years tonight (the 1986 edition) at 9.30pm - before BBC Scotland air the same episode at 10.30pm.

In past years BBC One Scotland has had a second network bulletin, exclusive to Scotland, presented by the same network presenter as the bulletin for the rest of the country, and simulcast on the NC.

Now that arrangements regarding the NC have changed, it seems they got the NC team to make sure there was a clean junction so they could drop in and drop out again, but it wasn’t “produced” by network as previously. Probably because getting a network bulletin going now requires firing up Studio B.

It gives Scotland news on the main channel at next to no cost and also fills a hole in the schedule.

(31-12-2023, 10:07 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Don’t they usually do a separate late bulletin on NYE?
That rings a bell, looks like it's been scrapped this year. It's the usual diet of not-very-funny Scottish comedy and sentimental stuff about Hogmanay. Mind you, STV's effort looks even worse though.

The best party in recent years has been the light-hearted live ceilidh/party on BBC Alba. The traditional music might still be an acquired taste for some though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes scottishtv's post:
  • interestednovice

How I miss the January special presentation on BBC One. It gave something new to look forward to in the post fireworks/concert slot. Since dropping them, I don’t understand why idents change after midnight.
[-] The following 3 users Like fanoftv's post:
  • interestednovice, Reith85, UTVLifer

(31-12-2023, 10:10 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  In past years BBC One Scotland has had a second network bulletin, exclusive to Scotland, presented by the same network presenter as the bulletin for the rest of the country, and simulcast on the NC.

Now that arrangements regarding the NC have changed, it seems they got the NC team to make sure there was a clean junction so they could drop in and drop out again, but it wasn’t “produced” by network as previously. Probably because getting a network bulletin going now requires firing up Studio B.

It gives Scotland news on the main channel at next to no cost and also fills a hole in the schedule.
I don't get why BBC Scotland can't do their own "network" bulletin - they basically do with the Nine anyway. They probably could have scheduled around the network bulletin yesterday anyway with a bit of tweaking. Odd they scheduled it for 8pm rather than 9.45pm - guess to hit the top of the hour.

Back to presentation and the annual moan of Christmas presentation not continuing through New Year's Day, although feels like NYD programming has now given away to it just being used to launch "new season" content.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • interestednovice

The view from Pres A in Glasgow at midnight (and the last Xmas symbol playout, too)

x.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • interestednovice, JMT1985

(01-01-2024, 01:48 AM)fanoftv Wrote:  How I miss the January special presentation on BBC One. It gave something new to look forward to in the post fireworks/concert slot. Since dropping them, I don’t understand why idents change after midnight.

I like special presentation too but not if it means things like “Love 2024”

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

(01-01-2024, 12:23 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  I like special presentation too but not if it means things like “Love 2024”
I always quite liked those "Love . . ." themes. January is depressing enough with it being in the middle of winter. Everyone is back at work/school/uni and there isn't a great deal for most people to look forward to until Easter.

It was just a gentle way of transitioning from the festive mood to the harsh realities of everyday life with something special before hitting you with regular pres again.
[-] The following 4 users Like Stuart's post:
  • fanoftv, interestednovice, Josh, Reith85