BBC One Christmas 2023

The lens concept could work with scenes of a place at different times of the year resolving to show it with Christmas decorations up

Even just over the period with a pre-Christmas, Christmas and New Year scene - with the idents switching as time goes on to focus on the more appropriate scene. Although that probably means creating around 4 different idents with 3 scenes in each so not really economical compared to one set with three variations used across the period.

Just a shame they didn't consider Christmas when filming the regular idents - probably could have done something with all of them except the pool - but even with that you could have Santa on a lilo just floating across it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • JMT1985, Ma76, Quantum+83

It seems now the premise for Christmas idents is to start on or near December 1st - with age, it seems Christmas is now all about the lead up to the big day and not the day itself - this is of course commercially wise, as December 1st to around 22nd is when the big cash is splashed out on Christmas by most families.

For the BBC, the old style of launching their Christmas ident at lunchtime on Christmas Eve and ending them at close of Boxing Day is long gone - I remember even in the millennium Christmas of 1999 their Christmas presentation was done and packed away come December 27th.

So, it seems like with many things, tradition changes with the times

BBC One at least are the only channel which released a new Christmas ident every year - ITV creates new ones usually when they refresh their channel idents and then reuse them over and over until the next refresh - same with Channel 4 and 5

It will be interesting to see what Channel 4 offer for their Christmas ident package of 2023? Their new idents launched this year, I wonder if they will even bother (remember 2005 to 2015 they ignored Christmas presentation largely).

If they do anything I think it'll be in the cube style rather than the ident style.

(15-10-2023, 09:04 AM)mark Wrote:  Am I being blind as a bat? I can't see a reference to idents in the Tabby McTat press release.

I'd be happy with another set of Julia Donaldson/Axel Scheffler idents this year, though - my daughter would love them.

You're not blind it doesn't mention them at all, it's just assumption/guesswork

I like the way they keep adding new Julia Donaldson cartoons each year, their Christmas Eve/day/Boxing Day schedules are always full of nice family cartoons now
[-] The following 5 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • Ma76, mark, Quantum+83, Transmission, TVFan

(15-10-2023, 01:16 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  It seems now the premise for Christmas idents is to start on or near December 1st - with age, it seems Christmas is now all about the lead up to the big day and not the day itself - this is of course commercially wise, as December 1st to around 22nd is when the big cash is splashed out on Christmas by most families.
Given this is now the case, I think a decent compromise would be to introduce Christmas idents at the start of December but only before Christmas related programmes and then only expand to be before every programme a few days prior to Christmas Day.

So the inevitable repeats of old Mrs Brown's Boys and Gavin and Stacey specials in the first few weeks of December would have Christmas idents before them but the News and Bargain Hunt weeks out from Christmas Day wouldn't.
[-] The following 4 users Like bananaman's post:
  • Brekkie, insert_good_username_here, Ma76, Spencer

I've always been of the mindset that the idents should begin 2 weeks before Christmas. 11th December for the idents, and 1st December for trailers and the likes, but I think normal idents for non christmas programming and christmas idents for the repeats and new stuff makes sense, as bananaman suggested

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

I wonder if having BBC One as the only channel to do a new Christmas ident package every year is reasonable - BBC One is licence fee funded, and so it is proper for them to spend money on new Christmas presentation each year.

However I feel less inclined to want ITV, Channel 4 etc to offer new Christmas idents each year - ITV and Channel 4 seem to not really care about Christmas anyway - ITV has had a bad history of Christmas television, as since their launch in 1955, Christmas seemed a waste to commercial television, as all the ad revenue is in the weeks leading up to Christmas.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • insert_good_username_here

(15-10-2023, 09:04 AM)mark Wrote:  Am I being blind as a bat? I can't see a reference to idents in the Tabby McTat press release.
(15-10-2023, 05:27 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  You're not blind it doesn't mention them at all, it's just assumption/guesswork

I like the way they keep adding new Julia Donaldson cartoons each year, their Christmas Eve/day/Boxing Day schedules are always full of nice family cartoons now

This was all said last year aswell: 

pres.cafe 

I would be very surprised if this was not the case.

BBC does tend to be playing it safe with the idents since 2020.

(14-10-2023, 05:45 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I think we will get Doctor Who idents for November 2023, leading up to and including the 60th anniversary
Personally I wouldn't mind them re-filming/editing an existing ident such as the bench (ref www.tvhome.co.uk ), so that you see the Tardis appearing or similar. However, I suspect we're more likely to just see idents briefly "interrupted" by The Doctor as has previously been done.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.