Steph's Packed Lunch to end in December

It's been announced that Steph's Packed Lunch will end on 8th December.

Staff informed this afternoon of the decision.

Reported by a few tabloids, but also by BroadcastNow:

www.broadcastnow.co.uk 
[-] The following 6 users Like Ash101's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Happy2001, Stuart, Superman1986, UTVLifer

This decision feels like a shame, but the quotes reported seem to imply it's about freeing up the budget to do other things... so clearly it's just about not having enough money to stretch to enough things.

Instability at This Morning did feel like the perfect opportunity for Steph's Packed Lunch to settle in but that clearly hasn't been the case - I'm not quite sure how it rates these days? I do think that is the one issue I've found with it when I've watched in the past.... it just feels like a This Morning-not done as well-type show.
[-] The following 7 users Like Ash101's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Nige, Pips2022, Stuart, Superman1986, UTVLifer

It’s one of those shows I’ve dipped in and out of, usually have it on as background TV before Countdown. It’s okay, but that’s its problem, it’s never been great, watchable certainly but not must see. I feel for the team working on it considering they were given an extra half an hour earlier in the year, this is a huge blow. But I do echo that it feels like a This Morning-lite programme.

Channel 4 daytime will really feels like no man’s land now. At least SPL gave it some live content each day. Where as going forwards the first new show of the day will probably be Countdown.

(19-10-2023, 03:04 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  Instability at This Morning did feel like the perfect opportunity for Steph's Packed Lunch to settle in but that clearly hasn't been the case - I'm not quite sure how it rates these days? I do think that is the one issue I've found with it when I've watched in the past.... it just feels like a This Morning-not done as well-type show.
I guess the producers at This Morning have another potential presenter they could consider for the new year, or at least that's what the tabloids will soon be claiming.  Rolleyes

If I recall correctly Steph's Packed Lunch was one of Channel 4's flagship programmes from Leeds when it launched.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • Toby brown

Ironically today’s edition was the first I watched for a while and I found it quite refreshing when compared to the likes of This Morning.

It’s a shame it’s ending but probably not surprising. If they did have faith in the format, they would have moved it earlier and pitted it against This Morning and Morning Live.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RDJ's post:
  • UTVLifer

I still think Steph was part of the problem. Don't get me wrong, she's a perfectly capable presenter and, if anything she's improved lot recently. But, she was never a 'name' or particularly well know outside of Breakfast. They seemed to pit the whole programme on the basis that Steph was presenting it but if no-one really gives a toss who she is then why are they going to tune in especially when they programme itself doesn't really offer anything you can't find elsewhere on more established formats?

Either way it's a shame for those involved.
[-] The following 5 users Like Alf Stewart's post:
  • Ash101, bkman1990, Nige, Pips2022, UTVLifer

(19-10-2023, 03:29 PM)RDJ Wrote:  Ironically today’s edition was the first I watched for a while and I found it quite refreshing when compared to the likes of This Morning.

It’s a shame it’s ending but probably not surprising. If they did have faith in the format, they would have moved it earlier and pitted it against This Morning and Morning Live.

Today also featured Simon McCoy as a guest with a little easter egg at the start of the show Wink

(19-10-2023, 03:34 PM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  I still think Steph was part of the problem. Don't get me wrong, she's a perfectly capable presenter and, if anything she's improved lot recently. But, she was never a 'name' or particularly well know outside of Breakfast. They seemed to pit the whole programme on the basis that Steph was presenting it but if no-one really gives a toss who she is then why are they going to tune in especially when they programme itself doesn't really offer anything you can't find elsewhere on more established formats?

Either way it's a shame for those involved.

Yes I do agree with this. Steph isn't a "must watch" personality so it is a bit strange to build the whole show around her.

Being reported that the new deputy editor at This Morning is a 'huge fan' of her by The Sun this afternoon. But I do think she's the wrong type of person for TM...
[-] The following 2 users Like Ash101's post:
  • Nige, Stuart

I’ve been going past that studio without realising I didn’t realise it was so close to Sky.

People are adding 2+2 and getting 5 with regards to Vivek Sharma going back to This Morning from SPL, my guess is that they're eyeing him to replace Martin Frizell.