What is the longest running single title sequence?

To flip the question around which long running shows have had the MOST title sequences?

Dragons' Den for example seems to enjoy the challenge of mixing them up a bit for each series although like a lot of shows these days have almost stopped bothering with them and just sort of merged them into the opening preview - long gone are the days when they would explain in great detail with fancy shots of how the individuals made their money!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johnr's post:
  • Gary Baldy

This could lead to a long list of programmes! But my first thought was, with it coming up to its 60th anniversary next month, Doctor Who.

[Image: tig96x96.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew Wood's post:
  • AaronLancs, AndrewP, Roger Darthwell

(29-10-2023, 01:31 PM)Johnr Wrote:  To flip the question around which long running shows have had the MOST title sequences?

Must be Big Brother given they have a new set for every series with a distinct look every time.

I wonder if Hollyoaks counts, having a title sequence with cast members in and being a soap with a high turnover of cast means quite frequent tweaks and updates.

In these days of streaming, a lot of shows don't even bother with proper title sequences any more, you often just get a quick title card, if even that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Gary Baldy

(29-10-2023, 02:24 PM)James2001 Wrote:  In these days of streaming, a lot of shows don't even bother with proper title sequences any more, you often just get a quick title card, if even that.

I wouldn't say that's a streaming thing - if anything the big streaming series go for the big title sequence (which of course you can skip) in the way HBO and Showtime shows historically have too.    It's broadcast where the title sequence has all but gone in both drama and reality formats - the latter either having lengthy recaps or the same scripted introduction to the format week after week which just ends with a title card.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Andrew Wood, AndrewP, Gary Baldy

(29-10-2023, 01:36 PM)Andrew Wood Wrote:  This could lead to a long list of programmes! But my first thought was, with it coming up to its 60th anniversary next month, Doctor Who.

Funny you should mention Doctor Who. I was looking at this just last night after going down a rabbit hole on Doctor Who title sequences. This YouTube video on the official BBC Studio's channel for Doctor Who from four years ago gives at least eighteen title sequences - not counting variants - that have been done over the last 60 years.

(29-10-2023, 11:39 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  The show didn't run for 20 years, so absolutely not. That's the benchmark to beat, as the first post mentions Homes Under The Hammer, which has lasted that long without ever changing it (and it's long overdue a change as it features now out-of-date banknote designs).

I mistook the title of the thread for longest title sequence instead of longest running - apologies!

(29-10-2023, 03:08 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  Funny you should mention Doctor Who. I was looking at this just last night after going down a rabbit hole on Doctor Who title sequences. This YouTube video on the official BBC Studio's channel for Doctor Who from four years ago gives at least eighteen title sequences - not counting variants - that have been done over the last 60 years.

Yeah, they change when each new Doctor debuts, except for 2 (his first few serials still used the original OP, which wasn't out of date as it didn't show Hartnell's face) and 10 (no face in the titles, so only the credits changed, thus it counts as a variant and not a new OP). 2, 3, 4, 6, 10, and 11 all changed during their tenure as well. Of course that means they never last more than a few years.

(29-10-2023, 01:31 PM)Johnr Wrote:  To flip the question around which long running shows have had the MOST title sequences?

Blockbusters is up to seven versions across all the incarnations. Yes it hasn't run continuously all that time but we've had more stabs at it than most other countries.

Somebody rather handily made a YouTube video about it, which is nice:
www.youtube.com 

The obvious example though to your question has to be Countdown, which again somebody has put together on a YouTube video showing said title sequences, though probably descends into evolution at various points later in a look's life than revolution:
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Si-Co