My5 and Pluto to merge

I don't think there's a My5 thread so here it is. The two services will be combined in the second half of next year. No word if they will use either brand or a new one. This makes a lot of sense and I'm surprised they haven't done this a lot sooner.

www.c21media.net 
[-] The following 5 users Like gottago's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, callumwatchestelly, Happy2001, Toby brown, watchingtv

I hope they stick with the channel 5 name. Pluto isn't really a well known thing over here. Makes sense consolidating the fremium brand for the channel 5 name, and have paramount plus be the premium option.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • Stuart

5Pluto wouldn't be unexpected based on the past conventions however now would be a good time to rebrand the network from the shackles of Channel 5, given that traditional TV is slowly dying.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cable's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

They could also absorb paramount plus into a premium tier like britbox with itvx premium.

(01-11-2023, 10:04 PM)ckck1704 Wrote:  They could also absorb paramount plus into a premium tier like britbox with itvx premium.
It's more likely based on the Amazon Prime and Amazon freevee model. Paramount+ will operate as a separate app and I don't think they will want to dilute the premium offering (or at least yet). Whatever this new service is, it will be based on the current Pluto TV.

besides, Old britbox must be heading for the close now that its subscribers are being forced to ITVX with no way of renewing.

(01-11-2023, 10:04 PM)ckck1704 Wrote:  They could also absorb paramount plus into a premium tier like britbox with itvx premium.
If they have no faith in Paramount+ in the UK, they'll do this.

Hopefully this means Channel 5 shows will finally be available to stream in HD. My5 is SD on most devices, right? (With the possible exception of Samsung TVs)

(01-11-2023, 09:44 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  I hope they stick with the channel 5 name. Pluto isn't really a well known thing over here. Makes sense consolidating the fremium brand for the channel 5 name, and have paramount plus be the premium option.
Pluto TV is a brand used internationally and I think it's quite well known in the UK as the app pops up on Smart TVs and Fire Sticks. Nobody outside the UK would have a clue what 'My5' was.

I suspect they'll come up with an entirely new name. It's a shame, as Paramount have spent some time creating and promoting a good reputation for My5 here.

(03-11-2023, 12:27 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I suspect they'll come up with an entirely new name. It's a shame, as Paramount have spent some time creating and promoting a good reputation for My5 here.
In theory 'Showtime' would be a potential contender for the name of the merged services, which is a Paramount company. However, I believe there's currently Sky Showtime, which is a joint venture between Paramount and Comcast.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

They have a streaming service in Paramount Plus though... so this is very much incorporating the Pluto stuff into Channel 5's streaming offering? Surely the name makes more sense to still be aligned with Channel 5?