BBC News Events Coverage

It's coming to the time of year that some big events are coming. This coming week see's three prestigious events. Now, without Huw Edwards at the helm, it's likely some of these events will covered differently to before.

Remembrance Sunday is being covered by David Dimbleby, which I gather is his only continuing commitment to the BBC.

The State Opening of Parliament on Tuesday is being covered by 5 Live's Nicky Campbell.

However in a strange turn of events, The Lord Mayors Show on Saturday which presumably would also usually be covered by Huw, is being covered by Radio 2's Scott Mills. A rather strange choice if I may say so myself.

So it comes to be reckoned if the rota of who heads covering of important events is being shaken up quite radically at the BBC and that it isn't necessarily just going to be senior presenters and/or Kirsty Young  heading these events anymore.
[-] The following 8 users Like RDJ's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, GeekyJames, interestednovice, Ma76, Quantum+83, RhysJR, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

Perhaps the BBC have realised having all their eggs in one basket doesn’t make sense. Having a variety of presenters to call upon for these occasions is much more sensible.
[-] The following 5 users Like chris's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, callumwatchestelly, Jeff, Ma76, Reith85

(05-11-2023, 02:54 PM)RDJ Wrote:  However in a strange turn of events, The Lord Mayors Show on Saturday which presumably would also usually be covered by Huw, is being covered by Radio 2's Scott Mills. A rather strange choice if I may say so myself.
There is something of a history of Lords Mayors Show presenters here. As you will see, not many news presenters mentioned. When you look at some of the names from the past, Scott Mills isn't such a strange choice
genome.ch.bbc.co.uk 

Also I'd imagine that logistically presenting the Lords Mayors Show and Festival of Remembrance on the same day could be logistically tricky. Presumably the Festival of Remembrance will be rehearsing or at least preparing whilst the Lord's Mayor Show is taking place?
[-] The following 4 users Like excel99's post:
  • Brekkie, Happy2001, Ma76, Reith85

I think the Lord Mayor's Show and Festival of Remembrance always fall on the same day. (The former is the second Saturday of November, and the latter is the day before Remembrance Sunday, which is the Sunday closest to the 11th - therefore both coincide.)

More a case of Scott replacing a role Clare often does as she is replacing Huw in the evening.
[-] The following 7 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, Happy2001, Jeff, Ma76, Quantum+83, Reith85, UTVLifer

I also wonder if it’s an attempted to engage a “younger” audience. If he’s talking about it on his Radio 2 show as well as posting it across all his social media, you may get people tune in who wouldn’t have done if it was say Clare. I don’t know if there are figures on the demographic watching it and if it’s been loosing viewers over the years.

As discussed, there has been a tendency to rely heavily on the same small group of presenters. Maybe widening up the pool of people will bring fresh ideas and styles.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ViridianFan's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

There was a clip on YouTube which I can’t find sadly, but there was a time, more specifically in 1986 when coverage of The Lord Mayors Show was part of Saturday Superstore and unsurprisingly Cheggers was on duty. In hindsight Scott Mills is probably a good choice.

genome.ch.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • Happy2001, RhysJR

(05-11-2023, 02:54 PM)RDJ Wrote:  However in a strange turn of events, The Lord Mayors Show on Saturday which presumably would also usually be covered by Huw, is being covered by Radio 2's Scott Mills. A rather strange choice if I may say so myself.
I'm sure Gethin Jones presented last year - so Scott Mills is quite a logical choice. It's a large street festival with musical performances, not a sombre news-like event.

Find me on Twitter: @alfiejmulcahy
[-] The following 3 users Like alfiejmulcahy's post:
  • Brekkie, Happy2001, Toby brown

Scott Mills isn't an odd choice for The Lord Mayor's show really, it's not ceremonial or a major event.

What is odd is why it's on TV every year anyway... it's got no relevance to anyone.

(06-11-2023, 09:07 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  There was a clip on YouTube which I can’t find sadly, but there was a time, more specifically in 1986 when coverage of The Lord Mayors Show was part of Saturday Superstore and unsurprisingly Cheggers was on duty. In hindsight Scott Mills is probably a good choice.

genome.ch.bbc.co.uk 
That was the worst thing about The Lord Mayor's Show usually - it meant a shorter Swap Shop/Superstore/Going Live

(05-11-2023, 02:54 PM)RDJ Wrote:  The State Opening of Parliament on Tuesday is being covered by 5 Live's Nicky Campbell.
Thus forming a very odd Venn diagram of presenters both Wheel of Fortune and the State Opening of Parliament  Cool Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AverageOrangeTurnip, Nobby

(07-11-2023, 06:29 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Scott Mills isn't an odd choice for The Lord Mayor's show really, it's not ceremonial or a major event.

What is odd is why it's on TV every year anyway... it's got no relevance to anyone.

That was the worst thing about The Lord Mayor's Show usually - it meant a shorter Swap Shop/Superstore/Going Live

I certainly think the interruption of Saturday morning kids' TV is the root of my personal hatred for it.

It does hold the record, though, as the longest running programme on TV anywhere in the world, having been broadcast since 1937 (albeit with a haitus during the Second World War). So I suspect it's one of those 'we've always done it, so we have to do it' situations.

I don't think it'd be quite so bad if it was only broadcast on BBC One London, but subjecting the entire nation to it, including Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland seems absurd.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • Stuart