ITV Programming

More music on mainstream telly is welcome but this is basically a 'An Audience with...' type of thing so just one act per episode. I think there's still a place for a chart based show, which provides structure but at the same time makes it look less constructed. TOTP in the end was mostly songs/artists that weren't even in the charts and it became very selective and like a Spotify playlist, i.e. this is the music we want you to like even though there are others who are popular. For a show this week, I would have Taylor Swift, Pearl Jam, UB40 etc which is how it ought to be.

Disagree - TOTP was a product of it's time. Giving one act the focus of each episode makes it more worthwhile for them and IMO the viewer too.

Of course it is because people aren't going to to tune in for somebody that isn't listed as appearing so will probably like it if they do. The type of chart based show I'm talking about wasn't what TOTP was in its final years and TOTP didn't end because a chart based show was an outdated concept or that it is now.

(26-04-2024, 09:23 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Here's another classic show that is still going strong in the states being brought back for the UK. Hell's Kitchen.

www.thesun.co.uk 

But will each episode contain a preview for next weeks' "most exciting/explosive/unbelievable/dramatic/breath-taking Hell's Kitchen yet!" Rolleyes

(28-04-2024, 12:32 PM)western Wrote:  ITV are really pushing the boat out with promoting Red Eye, with a full front cover ad on the Observer Magazine today.
I binge watched the whole of 'Red Eye' yesterday on ITVX. Very good.

I can't be doing with linear channels deciding my viewing schedule any longer. I'm not a child.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • London Lite

In the same way I chose over the weekend to watch all the episodes of Netflix's new series "Dead Boys Detectives" which is another superb Netflix show which I love being able to watch when I want to.

I am 38, and I can remember the era in my teens waiting for dramas and comedies on a weekly basis - now the viewers has no patience with that, and ITVX like Netflix are the future.

I always feel linear will remain, as a back up service.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • Stuart

(29-04-2024, 01:12 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I binge watched the whole of 'Red Eye' yesterday on ITVX. Very good.

I can't be doing with linear channels deciding my viewing schedule any longer. I'm not a child.

Disney + have most of the series as weekly releases.

(29-04-2024, 07:05 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  Disney + have most of the series as weekly releases.

As do Apple TV+ and even some shows on Netflix are not released in one go.

In fact often you are more likely to see a series release of a drama on Disney & Apple than ITV or BBC. It helps them to stretch their content out over weeks/months and not leave long period with no new material and one presume they are not receiving lots of complaints as they would not do it.

(29-04-2024, 12:58 PM)rick Wrote:  But will each episode contain a preview for next weeks' "most exciting/explosive/unbelievable/dramatic/breath-taking Hell's Kitchen yet!" Rolleyes

I often forget that the UK version was on air as late as 2009, without Chef Ramsay as he was focused on the US version which never went away. Will Gordon Ramsay appear in the reboot? or will he be a creative consulant

(29-04-2024, 03:25 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  More music on mainstream telly is welcome but this is basically a 'An Audience with...' type of thing so just one act per episode. I think there's still a place for a chart based show, which provides structure but at the same time makes it look less constructed. TOTP in the end was mostly songs/artists that weren't even in the charts and it became very selective and like a Spotify playlist, i.e. this is the music we want you to like even though there are others who are popular. For a show this week, I would have Taylor Swift, Pearl Jam, UB40 etc which is how it ought to be.

I'd like to hope with commissions like ITV Studio Sessions or the annual Capital FM Summertime/Jingle Bell Ball this would open a new door for future music commissions as they are rare enough as it is to be made, better yet I'm surprised a chart based music show hasn't already been made for digital platforms by now especially YouTube or BBC iPlayer.

It's becoming increasingly common for streaming services to release episodes weekly, so they clearly feel there's some merit in "dictating your viewing" or whatever you want to call it.