ITV Programming

(22-04-2024, 09:46 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Yeah, in real life, wouldn't her character have retired a decade ago? You don't usually have 78 year old active detectives.

Although the premise for many TV detective shows often centres around a retired detective.

Remember Columbo remained in the police force right up to 2003, when he had been a lieutenant in the LAPD since 1968 when the pilot episode aired.

Brand new series called ‘The Fortune Hotel’ starts next month.

The promo below is very ITV1 circa 2000s in style

www.instagram.com 

It's very much an idea that could have come from that time in the wake of Big Brother, seemingly relevant now because of everybody trying to find another Traitors. The problem is there have been a number of "send contestants away to an exotic location and battle it out" shows recently and most of them have failed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • UTVLifer

twitter.com 

This is interesting and despite the fact that the programme has still been broadcast in the US.
[-] The following 3 users Like iloveTV1's post:
  • lookoutwales, Ma76, RhysJR

(22-04-2024, 09:46 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Yeah, in real life, wouldn't her character have retired a decade ago? You don't usually have 78 year old active detectives.
The original concept for Vera was a DI (then DCI) approaching retirement back in 2010.

I don't think ITV expected it to be so popular. If you have a success, then you run with it as long as you can.

I did think that the return of David Leon as his old character, rather than just as an occasional episode Director, was a hint at where they were going to take the series, in the same direction as STV did with Taggart back in the day.

It would have worked.

(24-04-2024, 05:54 PM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  twitter.com 
This is interesting and despite the fact that the programme has still been broadcast in the US.

Do we know what sort of audience it got in the US? I can't imagine that many Americans are that interested in the British Post Office. Maybe ITV didn't get a good price for selling it to the USA.

It's a shame that such a significant and popular [here] drama can't make money. I'd argue that it's benefited ITV's reputation, and has helped drive use of ITVX, so there are certainly benefits for ITV. But it's concerning that broadcasters might be put off making important dramas like this in the future for fear of losing money.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • fanoftv, Ma76

(25-04-2024, 06:03 PM)Spencer Wrote:  It's a shame that such a significant and popular [here] drama can't make money. I'd argue that it's benefited ITV's reputation, and has helped drive use of ITVX, so there are certainly benefits for ITV. But it's concerning that broadcasters might be put off making important dramas like this in the future for fear of losing money.
I think such programmes are the reason why C4 and the BBC exist, so I'm surprised ITV made it.

I am pleased that they did, as it was a fascinating and well made drama. But drama is very expensive to make, and broadcasters like international collaboration to share the cost/risks.

It's probably done more to sell ITV's PSB credentials than any investment in news or regional content ever would. I've no doubt too they'll claw it back through brand value - start the year off with a good drama and people are far more willing to give your future offerings more of a chance.
[-] The following 8 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, ethanjbrady, fanoftv, JMT1985, Ma76, RhysJR, Spencer, Stuart

(25-04-2024, 06:03 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Do we know what sort of audience it got in the US? I can't imagine that many Americans are that interested in the British Post Office. Maybe ITV didn't get a good price for selling it to the USA.

I think a lot of modern-day ITV dramas tend to end up on PBS’ Masterpiece strand, which was certainly the case here - though I’m not sure if viewing figures for PBS are readily available.

deadline.com 

Surprised to find they had also shown the likes of ‘Nolly’ fairly recently.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • Spencer