Thread Closed

Carol Vorderman Leaving BBC Radio Wales

Carol Vorderman has been asked to leave BBC Radio Wales “for breaching social media guidelines”.

Carol has hosted a weekend show at the BBC for 5 years.

Government censorship pure and simple. The BBC has lost it's independence. The silence from the unions on this matter has been deafening.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • GMc

(08-11-2023, 01:30 PM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  Carol Vorderman has been asked to leave BBC Radio Wales “for breaching social media guidelines”.

Carol has hosted a weekend show at the BBC for 5 years.

Has she already presented her last show her name is still on the schedule

Here's the full story according to Carol.

twitter.com 

To be honest it's probably the right decision. Unlike other presenters like Gary LInekar she's directly challenging and opposing the government, it's not exactly nuanced.

It should be the same whoever the government is by the way
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • interestednovice, thomash79

(08-11-2023, 03:37 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Here's the full story according to Carol.

twitter.com 

To be honest it's probably the right decision. Unlike other presenters like Gary LInekar she's directly challenging and opposing the government, it's not exactly nuanced.

It should be the same whoever the government is by the way

I don't agree personally: absolutely if their job is in news and current affairs, but I don't understand why it is acceptable when the person in question is a DJ or the host of a football show. Is the line now that you must not have publically known political opinions if you want any on-screen job at the BBC? I don't think that's a fair or reasonable expectation for any job. Nothing Vorderman has said crosses the line of acceptability, so why must she lose her job over it? Is there anybody who thinks her online views, not expressed on her show at all, are somehow those of BBC Radio Wales?
[-] The following 2 users Like strollfan's post:
  • DeMarkay, GMc

The rules are here
www.bbc.co.uk 

As you can see she is probably included under the 'other bbc staff and freelancers', who are allowed to express opinions online but mustn't bring the corporation into disrepute.

So either Radio Wales is included as a news outlet (which wouldn't surprise me)
or
What she says online has been thought not to be civil and bringing them into disrepute.
or
It's contractual, she says her contract has changed and she doesn't want to comply with it. Whether the contract has changed as a part of the new social media rules, or seperately to it I don't know.

She doesn't present a news based show on Radio Wales but like the other national stations it is seen as primarily news and current affairs. I suspect that her social media posts might be pushing the boundaries a bit too much. It's not just commenting on news, she's actively campaigning against a political party.

It's not the first time she's had the leave the BBC because she's been incompatible with their rules. Though last time it was for commercial reasons rather than political
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • Happy2001, interestednovice

(08-11-2023, 02:18 PM)Toby brown Wrote:  Has she already presented her last show her name is still on the schedule

I think she has. She was absent last week, but the show kept the same format and her co-host (Hollyoaks actor Nathan Sussex) was still on the show. Radio Wales' schedules are very American primetime news in their approach - the name of the host is listed as the show tiltle even if they don't host.

If the circumstances of her departure weren't as controversial, they might have kept the 'brand' until a new host was appointed, but guess they might change it ASAP now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • interestednovice

(08-11-2023, 02:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Government censorship pure and simple.  The BBC has lost it's independence.  The silence from the unions on this matter has been deafening.

You’re being somewhat hysterical Brekkie, I have to say. 

If Carol wants to channel her efforts into being a full time anti-Government activist that’s absolutely fine, but the BBC should not be giving her a platform to do so and the taxpayer certainly should not be paying for it. 

It’s also worth pointing out that this activism has become increasingly irrational in recent months, resulting in a number of legal scrapes. Certainly the right call from the BBC here.
[-] The following 4 users Like AaronTV's post:
  • interestednovice, lookoutwales, Pips2022, XIII

She does seem to have become pretty obsessed on Twitter recently, whereas Gary Lineker might occasionally post a semi vague comment about a particular policy, mixed in between posts about football and other topics, Carol’s feed seems to be post after post heavily criticising the government, slating ministers by name and actively campaigning to get them out and instructing people how to vote. Her feed seems to contain nothing else..

Clearly breaking the BBC’s social media guidelines.

I hope for her own mental health some of these posts are scheduled in advance as to be so angry about one topic literally 24/7 can’t be good.

I was wondering if it was just a social media persona, as we all know politics equals engagement on Twitter, and she didn’t seem as obsessed even on Have I got News for You, but maybe not.

She’ll be ok, she’ll probably end up on LBC
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew's post:
  • interestednovice, XIII

Carol recently gave evidence to a select committee of MPs on issues she advocates for.

She is not an "anti-Government" activist, but she has criticism of current government policies. This is in keeping with humanity and if the current government was less antagonistic, this wouldn't be an issue.

It is also questionable if the current BBC social media policy would be in place, if it was not for the current editorship and makeup of the BBC Board, being controlled and engineered by the current Conservative government.
[-] The following 2 users Like mdta's post:
  • Brekkie, Kim Wexler’s Ponytail
Thread Closed