Christmas TV

Although a film is just as lazy - indeed many nights over the period is just back to back films on C4, though they have got a Christmas Special of The Piano on Christmas Day at 8.45pm. I think Gogglebox usually has that slot, but it's on Christmas Eve this year.

ITV are airing Nolly on the Wed/Thu/Fri - obviously been on ITVX for much of the year but it's a good use of the slot. The "live" daytime shows also air the Wed/Thu/Fri as they did last year, though a bit of a shame it's the quizzes all afternoon rather than a couple of hours put aside for a film.

Up against Nolly the BBC have Murder is Easy over two nights (rather than the usual three for Agatha Christie Dramas) and Men Up on the Friday. Does feel they missed a trick not launching The Traitors there.

In most cases and not just at Christmas, films are lazy but a premiere isn't. Although even that can be seen as lazy because it's still a film and I get that they aren't popular as they once were but people's standards have changed. It's amazing how films are written off as imports sometimes. Technically yes, but not in a complimentary way.

Daytime TV is better than what it was (for grown ups at least) so schedulers can be lazy with quiz shows and whatever else but they will probably out-rate the films that are available, sadly for those who like films.

The change in the ratings system for films has a lot to answer for as it limited the amount of films that can be shown in daytime. There's also the problem that from the mid 90s filmmakers moved away from making family friendly blockbusters into niche projects aimed at adults so there are far less middle of the road films than before.

I don't know if the Channel 4 situation has anything to do with the recent commissioning drought. In previous years they would have shown more new stuff or selections from across the year but the latter has been so abysmal that maybe putting on a film is more preferable.
[-] The following 2 users Like tellyblues's post:
  • Brekkie, UTVLifer

For the record, here’s what S4C are offering in the shadow of their behind-the-scenes saga.

www.s4c.cymru 

Are the Inside M&S, Aldi's Christmas Secrets, Harrods at Christmas and Lidl Donkey documentaries (OK, I might have made one of those up) all basically advertiser funded shows paid for by the companies or do commercial broadcasters think we want to watch them?
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, Gary Baldy, Reith85

(18-12-2023, 04:32 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Are the Inside M&S, Aldi's Christmas Secrets, Harrods at Christmas and Lidl Donkey documentaries (OK, I might have made one of those up) all basically advertiser funded shows paid for by the companies or do commercial broadcasters think we want to watch them?

I watched the M&S one and it was one of the most boring documentaries I’ve ever watched in my life.
[-] The following 3 users Like Gary Baldy's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, Reith85, turbolazer

20 minutes on getting the right chutney for a Christmas sandwich. Don’t know what you mean… 🥱
[-] The following 1 user Likes steve's post:
  • interestednovice

I viewed it as a bit W1A-style, only in real life. It was funny without meaning to be!

Things like: “It’s the 3rd of April, and the team responsible for M&S’ famous Christmas sandwich are having a brainstorming session”.

Then somebody says something like “we’re behind schedule with this, this sandwich should have been finalised months ago”!

I was also wondering if all the mince pies they’d gathered up for their “competitor research” has actually gone off by the time they were eating them at the start of July, given they must have purchased them “mystery-shopper” style in Christmas 2022.

This is an area where it feels like the main channels have become homogenised with all doing the same thing.

Last year, Channel 4 covered the Christmas lights at Longleat as part of Lighting Up Christmas. This year Channel 5 showed Christmas at Longleat.

(20-12-2023, 08:52 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  This is an area where it feels like the main channels have become homogenised with all doing the same thing.

Last year, Channel 4 covered the Christmas lights at Longleat as part of Lighting Up Christmas. This year Channel 5 showed Christmas at Longleat.

And of course the BBC airs Animal Park, set at...Longleat.
(There was a Christmas series last year but not this year though they are airing as repeats on BBC One this week)

(18-12-2023, 11:31 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  I viewed it as a bit W1A-style, only in real life. It was funny without meaning to be!

Things like: “It’s the 3rd of April, and the team responsible for M&S’ famous Christmas sandwich are having a brainstorming session”.

Then somebody says something like “we’re behind schedule with this, this sandwich should have been finalised months ago”!

I was also wondering if all the mince pies they’d gathered up for their “competitor research” has actually gone off by the time they were eating them at the start of July, given they must have purchased them “mystery-shopper” style in Christmas 2022.

Mince pies are freezable, which may have assisted them if a major food retailer were to have access to a freezer of some kind.