BBC Christmas/New Year Presentation in the Past

Just having a quick look through the archives and it's easy to forget that although the idents only lasted three days they did run stings beforehand around the promos, and in the 80s often better than the actual ident. I guess there was a practical reason they had to stick with the turntable.

www.ravensbourne.ac.uk 

www.ravensbourne.ac.uk 

www.ravensbourne.ac.uk 

And is this an unused ident - in a New Year variant:

www.ravensbourne.ac.uk 

I don't think that is BBC one New year ident. I think it was reused by one of the UKTV channels maybe gold? I think it was bbc world ident.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milkshake's post:
  • insert_good_username_here

a blast from the past from Queen Margaret Drive
twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like thegeek's post:
  • bkman1990, insert_good_username_here, Stuart

(17-11-2023, 08:11 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Just having a quick look through the archives and it's easy to forget that although the idents only lasted three days they did run stings beforehand around the promos, and in the 80s often better than the actual ident.  I guess there was a practical reason they had to stick with the turntable.

www.ravensbourne.ac.uk 

www.ravensbourne.ac.uk 

www.ravensbourne.ac.uk 

And is this an unused ident - in a New Year variant:

www.ravensbourne.ac.uk 

That last fireworks ident was used by UK Gold over Christmas 1999.   As far as I'm aware,  it was never intended for BBC One.
[-] The following 4 users Like Argyess's post:
  • Brekkie, insert_good_username_here, lookoutwales, Milkshake

(17-11-2023, 10:08 PM)Argyess Wrote:  That last fireworks ident was used by UK Gold over Christmas 1999.   As far as I'm aware,  it was never intended for BBC One.

Seen here in action and branded - there were at least two different edits

tvark.org 

tvark.org 

Can't help but wonder if those may been originally intended for use on BBC1 before they ended up being passed onto UKTV the following year.
[-] The following 3 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • AaronLancs, Brekkie, insert_good_username_here

(18-11-2023, 01:43 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Seen here in action and branded - there were at least two different edits

tvark.org 

tvark.org 

Can't help but wonder if those may been originally intended for use on BBC1 before they ended up being passed onto UKTV the following year.

Indeed.
Looking at Logopedia. It seems as if the BBC One Ident of the time was something to do with a Red Bauble. Quite lacklustre compared to that one that went to UK Gold.

up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

(Image Source: Author's own screenshot and hosted on Metropol247 Upload Service)

It is a gorgeous ident and you could imagine the balloon being added to the scene to keep it on brand (not that 97/98 used the balloon).
[-] The following 7 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AaronLancs, ACTV, callumwatchestelly, fanoftv, insert_good_username_here, lookoutwales, UTVLifer

Makes one wonder how thin those walls were between the "normal" BBC (i.e. One, Two & News 24) and BBC Worldwide (as it was) at the time for something to be probably commissioned for BBC One originally as t is in the BBC Motion Graphic Archive and then to be purloined by Worldwide for UK Gold.

Beautiful, elegant, simple, effective. Those UK Gold ident show things that are missed a lot from current branding.

It’s also important to appreciate the audio, often the right audio creates the perfect ident, without it the idents fall flat.
[-] The following 6 users Like fanoftv's post:
  • AaronLancs, bkman1990, Brekkie, Kunst, lookoutwales, Spencer

Yeah, it has a late 90/early 2000s charm to it which is definitely lacking on channel idents currently, in general
[-] The following 3 users Like Kunst's post:
  • AaronLancs, fanoftv, insert_good_username_here